Newcastle United Forum - Joey Barton stirring the mix.
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Old Leazes to Latic - 'How much will you charge me to haunt a house you tedious, whore marrying, nobody?'
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None5%
1-312%
4 or 540%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan190
2.Toon_NoMatterWot106
3.MickMartin58
4.Mcnamee6738
5.The Pyrry29
6.billybobcat27
7.keggy_keagal27
8.crooktownmags26
9.The Owl25
10.markylad7419
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
Joey Barton stirring the mix.
16 August 2017 20:22 Post ID: #482329 - in reply to #482314
CuckFan - 16/8/2017 13:38

Yap-Yap-Yorkshire terrier, and 'no-shoelaces' OM now as well.

LOL!

Not even one football post, among them. Makes you wonder why these non-Toon fans are even on a message-board devoted to such a subject.

:19:

I'm proud to be a non-toon fan. Only you'd see that as an insult once again proving that you just don't get it, ever. I'm a Newcastle United fan. I was going before all that started, this toon army thing was started in the 90's as far as I can recall. It was songs like Geordies, Geordies to the Amazing Grace tune I remember hearing on the Gallowgate . Things like the Eaststand Indian's war cry and that bloke who looked like Kenny Everett . The steam rising from the fans in the packed Gallowgate when we were winning and it was raining. Playing Chelsea and someone nicking the letters from the score board. I find the wit's gone from modern football, can't remember when it was but playing a Swiss club in a match and Newcastle scored and of course it was sudden chorus of "You're not yodelling anymore ". Don't get me wrong the 90's were very good times as a fan but this Toon thing wasn't around when some of us were initially going and certainly doesn't define me.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
16 August 2017 20:47 Post ID: #482330 - in reply to #482258
Head bouncer in the gang of 10
Good post Keggy whilst its true we always tend to look back on things and focus on the positives football in the 70's and 80's was far better as a fan than it is today. We have some very nice stadiums but the atmosphere is shit. I blame Bobby Robson because after Italia 90 the middle classes decided they would quite like to attend football matches, and then along come sky and bastardise the whole game. A Saturday afternoon meant football for most working class lads a few pints a punch up the match and then on the piss. And dont get me started on the 'toon army' who decided to jump on the bandwagon when Newcastle started doing well , lads who followed the team for years when they were truly shit couldnt go to the match because it was season tickets only. I reckon cockfan is referring to the toon army when he refers to his military service. I am pleased that i had the pleasure of standing in the old leazes end on a Saturday afternoon and the toon army dont know what they missed mind you it might have been a bit too tasty for most of them.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 01:07 Post ID: #482346 - in reply to #482258
International Star
Just add my two pennorth worth to the 'toon army' debate. Always made me cringe hearing that name. We've always been 'the toon' or plain and simple 'Newcassel' in my eyes. My biggest gripe is with the 'we love Newcastle' chant. When did they start dropping the word 'you' from that chant? It should be 'we love you Newcastle, we do' etc. I reckon it started around the time of the shoes off brigade.

Cuckfan is that bloke who used to be called Hugo or whatever the fuck his name was. I think he ran away when he was exposed as a Walter Mitty/Aldridge Prior type.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 03:33 Post ID: #482347 - in reply to #482258
First Team Regular
Funny, the Toon Army thing never really bothered me. I thought it was just a natural fit with the chant of the time 'red army' etc. Not the right number of syllables for owt else Newcastle related. It did happen to coincide with the keegan revolution though so I agree w Mick Martin there- we were suddenly outcasts who couldn't get in anymore so the resentment of the Jonny come latelys was natural.

As for cuckfan in his latest incarnation, he's still a total arsehole. I thought he was kimjongun? Claims that nobody will engage him in debate when it's the exact opposite. He spouts his bile as though it's an EDL forum then throws a massive huff when everyone doesn't hail him as some sort of oracle and puts them on ignore.

His boasting about his business and his wealth are strange as well. We've had a few of those on here as well over the years.... anyone remember mallorcamag? Even further back, furtive fox?

Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 08:20 Post ID: #482348 - in reply to #482347
First Team Regular
I don't want to sound like a cunt here to anyone who genuinely was 'forced' out' from going to the games but I was always on a relatively low income at the time (started off on a YTS on 25 quid a week) and then was never really well paid but I don't remember it being a struggle as such to finance my season tickets at the time

I seem to remember there was a decent saving over the season compared to paying on a match to match basis - like I say, I don't want to sound like a cunt to anyone who genuinely couldn't afford it but I just don't remember it being that big a leap

Having said that I was mug enough to buy a bond at the time in fear losing my seat - 500 fucking quid for nothing really, although again, I recall recouping about two thirds of that back in free cup tickets etc

I often reminisce about the good old days - the conditions in the grounds were fucking shocking in the 70's and 80's but I'd happily go back to the days of 'real matchdays'

I was never a hooligan and always did my best to stay out of the real bother but never shied away from drinking in the city centre pubs on away days.....literally taking your life in your hands at the time but fuck me I still remember those days as being some of the best ever

Happy days...

Edited by McCreery 17/8/2017 08:25
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 08:38 Post ID: #482349 - in reply to #482258
First Team Regular
I totally agree about the seventies and eighties being a much better football experience before it was sanitised in the nineties. The old Armstrong Galley supporters coaches and the British Rail football specials where they used the oldest rolling stock they could find. There was no need to plan an away trip as such as all games were 3.00pm on a Saturday and you were almost guaranteed to get into the ground with the low attendances and standing terraces.

I was never a hooligan myself but there was certainly excitement at away games trying to avoid a doc martin the the heed. I almost feel sorry for the modern fan as they've missed the real working class spirit of football enhanced by the resentment of that bitch Thatcher and wide scale unemployment.

Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 09:31 Post ID: #482351 - in reply to #482258
First Team Regular
This is why I still pick up on OM when he's having a go at the fans

There were bonds made with the club back then that are difficult to break. There is a fair chunk who have managed to loosen that bond and walk away under Ashley but the likes of OM will never understand what it felt like to be a fan back then.

The intellect of the ones who choose not to break that bond should never be called into question

Edited by McCreery 17/8/2017 09:33
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 09:38 Post ID: #482352 - in reply to #482258
Its a very good point mac those bonds you make as a youngin are very strong and we had some shocking owners back in the day so its not as if we arent used to it. I think the Ashley regime is so dedpicable to me because i am older and can see right through the cunt but it probably woukdnt have stopped me going when i was younger
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 09:43 Post ID: #482353 - in reply to #482258
First Team Regular
Agreed MM......

I think there are differences between past regimes and Ashley but it's a difficult one to argue at times when like you say, we've supported them through more than our fair share of shit in the past
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 10:29 Post ID: #482354 - in reply to #482258
It's an awful position to be in. It's yet another stick with which to beat Ashley, fans turned against fans. I find myself swinging between resenting the apathy of the pro Ashley regime and feeling sorry for them for their false hopes. I also get that sometimes you just want to forget everything and watch the bloody football for those 90 minutes.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 10:48 Post ID: #482355 - in reply to #482258
International Star
I've called the supporters worse than shit for not doing anything about Ashley, but what's the point. They will still roll up and buy tickets. I love to reminisce with the likes of McCreery, MM, ManxMag, Keggy, Finn, The Corner etc. They are from my era more or less and remember the old days. I was never a hooligan myself, although I pretended to be for a bit when I was 15-18 and ran about with a few loons. Got a few hidings over the years too. All of this revisionist hooligan shite is just that, a load of shite. I do miss piling on the old coaches with a rake of cans and travelling down the country with my mates though. Rarely needed a ticket for the match except for Sunderland. Even then you could get one in the Fullwell if you were stuck Just a massive buzz turning up in some place you'd barely heard of and seeing loads of pissed up geordies in the bars. The football was mostly shite, but that wasn't even a consideration. Greatif we won, but not the be all and end all. It was the day out with your mates that was important. Bonds were formed back then that will never be broken. If I'd been home then this season I would have bought a season ticket due to Rafa's presence. I'd have been regretting it now mind, Ashley has shafted Rafa and if I was him I'd fucking walk out now.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 10:59 Post ID: #482356 - in reply to #482258
Yeah OL the good old coaches and the football special trains if i can still remember the smell 30 years later. I wasnt one of those daft hooligans there was me and five mates who went everywhere together and the NME never appealed to us we were lone rangers who went to most away games and back then there would often be fisticuffs but we never went looking for it. I loved the trips to London especially arrive on a Friday morning and then on the lash till Sunday meeting up in covent garden and trafalgar square with like minded supporters. Does that still happen? Happy days and i could write a book on some of my experiences and being honest it was great if we won but the result didnt have any bearing on the fun we had. The current stadiums are good to look at but they seem a bit souless maybe its because its all seater or maybe the culture has changed.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 11:54 Post ID: #482357 - in reply to #482356
Reserve Team
Premiership football is shite now I think, why would I want to go to the "footy" to sit with middle class families and worse and watch teenage millionaires prance around. Not a working mans day out any more.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 12:20 Post ID: #482358 - in reply to #482258
International Star
First I heard of the NME or owt like that was years later. I didn't even know we had a game with a name until one of the lads I worked with told me about some young lads going through to Roker for a reserve match and causing a bit of bother. The older lot called them Gremlins as far as I recall and that's where the name came from. I could be wrong of course, I usually am, but that's what I was told. This would have been around 86/87 and I was working away with a few lads who were into all that carry on. I went to a few games with them and it was a bit heavy for me like. Remember a midweek away at Man Utd when we got beaten 3-0 and Frank Stapleton was one of their scorers. Four of us walking up towards the ground when one of the daft fuckers decides to kick it off.... not a good move. Got a clip there, but lucky they didn't kill me. Man City got hoofed all over the shop, such a nasty beating I swore off for a bit. I think if I got a kicking like that today it would likely kill me. Also got brayed at Charlton when I went to put a bet on near the ground and some big brave cockney soldiers thought they might follow me in and do me. I tried jumping over the counter into the back but they got me and fairly smashed me about. Umpteen little things on top of that, but they stand out above all others. My best memory is coming home from an away trip at Rotheram when we humped them 5-0 and it was on MOTD. Fabulous support that day and It really sticks in my mind for some reason. Too many good and bad days to mention really. Must be hundreds if not thousands. Coming home from Villa after tehy sent us down. Me, Finn TC and a few others. Didn't give a fuck that we went down either. Just a really good day out with the lads on the piss.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 12:52 Post ID: #482359 - in reply to #482358
First Team Regular
My favourites were always the Liverpool or Everton away days but that was primarily because it involved a trip to Blackpool straight after

But one that always sticks in my mind was one Everton away game that I went to on my own....I think it was one of the lads birthday parties on the night so none of them fancied the match. It felt like a big thing going on my own as you never knew what might happen and with no back up my arse was twitching a bit but I'd enjoyed the previous ones so much I had to go

Can't remember anything about the match itself but got chased through Stanley Park on the way out...made it safely back home and went to see the lads at the party at Whickham club. I was met with a heroes welcome for going away on me own and got me leg over on the back of it (with a lass...not one of the lads)

It probably sounds like nothing these days but these are the kinds of memories and bonds you make through supporting a club like ours

I'd still be doing similar now if it wasn't for the fat cunt

Edited by McCreery 17/8/2017 13:04
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 12:59 Post ID: #482360 - in reply to #482258
From being taken as a bairn with me Dad in the 70's to going with mates in the 80's for the first time, there's a lot to reminisce.

The smell of everything with the majority reeking of stale beer or dodgy tabs, your first sight of the grass through crowded bodies at the mostly uncovered St James' Park on match day, the hot dog barrow (Pat Keegan's maybe) or the sound of the programme sellers, even the floodlights being visible from afar through the murky gloom on a dark, rainy night from the upper deck of the 62 when going past the old train station that was bombed at Manors. It all added to the excitement.

The team being shite was confused with the odd period where I thought we could really do something with Kevin Keegan's stint as a player and then manager some 8 years later being the biggest culprit to blame for that.

Newcastle being shite was an ingrained thought pattern that was bestowed on me by the family and friends that had been going years before I was born with their tales of gloom being stored in my brain, probably for future reference although with it being my local team that played within 5 or 6 miles from every house ive lived in, I doubt id have chosen anyone else. The magic that the club seems to have goes further than anyone gives credit for.

For every moment of reflection though, there comes the realisation that things weren't as they seemed at the time of it happening. Yes, the truly great moments were priceless in their witness but the other things just normal incidents just victim to the culture of it's time.

I can look back at moments in my life with happiness at things which were truly life or death instances at the time, such is the power of reminiscing with the many crushes ive been in or even the mere sound in the distance of 'hee man hoo man' that put the fear of death into a small kid aged between 8 and 12 trying to get into the corner or scoreboard before I started to sprout up a little and it fussed me not as much.

The Hillsborough tragedy showing us all how close we may have become to being a statistic ourselves with Spurs away in the FA Cup particularly a scary one for me as well as an incident for a Forest cup replay at home where I was crushed in the crowd before nearly being squashed by a police horse, such was the clamour for people to get in.

On reflection, great days but they weren't at the time.

Many things are better now but we've seen the price that has paid for it and im not talking in money terms although the biggest change for me is not so much that the grounds are better but the culture is completely different.

From counting down the minutes when I was a bairn until you were next at a game, they have it all on tap now. In our day you kept up the bond by being Malcolm McDonald, Kevin Keegan, Peter Withe, maybe even one of the other teams big players like a Tony Morley, Gary Shaw or in my case Kenny Dalglish when playing football at the garages or any bit of spare land you could find, now it's just 24/7 look at me shite and kids cant get to the level of anticipation like we did because it's always there.

Obviously i'll always look back with gratitude as to what I have experienced over the years at St James' and even now with the temporary ownership by the business minded Mike Ashley that will end some day that may bring back an untapped potential expectation but things will never ever return to what they once were for us old heads.

Whether it down to culture, which I think it is mostly, it's the health and safety aspect of not wanting crowds to gather, it's the expectation of knowing in advance that you are guaranteed a seat instead of queuing to get in the ground in excitement or worry around 2 or 3 hours in advance before the relief of getting in being greeted by the tannoy bloke telling you to move a couple of spaces forward to allow more in at the back. We just know things too much in advance now but just a couple of tweaks here and there can see some sort of resurrection.

The main one being Ashley as before him I cant remember too many complaining of all seater stadiums.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 13:12 Post ID: #482361 - in reply to #482258
International Star
Was the Forest replay a snowy night when Beardsley missed a pen or something in the first few minutes? We battered them and somehow contrived to lose 1-3. I remember it was absolutely heaving and a tremendous atmosphere. Got home and discovered they had given the crowd as 28,000... room for about 8,000 more. Never in a million years man. They were locking people out of the Gallowgate from about 7pm ffs. Just before kick off there was a snowball fight in there too. Hilarious crack. Then I recall the Forest keeper getting hit on the back of the head with a snowball just as the teams kicked off. Huge cheer for the shot. It was my younger brother chucked it, from the middle of the fucking Gallowgate as well.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 15:10 Post ID: #482362 - in reply to #482258
The NME was the early 80's OL a few canny lads but quite a few wankers as well so i never really ran with them but used to bump into them on awaydays. As i say i never went lookkng for trouble but i was a bit of a nasty bastard back then and i would have fought with my shadow even though i was soft as shite. The Liverpool away cup game on the Friday night will he one of those memories that i will probably recall on my death bed i swear that half of tyneside turned out for that game and the whole experience was just fucking brilliant outsinging the kop chasing the scousers through stanley park and wrecking the trains on the way home and getting arrested on return to central station, juvenile without doubt but back in the day we thought we were the cock of the north. I didnt mind getting nicked either because the last bus home had gone so bed and breakfast done me nicely.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 16:27 Post ID: #482363 - in reply to #482258
First Team Regular
Love stories like those Mick. My Mam wouldn't let me stop off school. I was one of the good'uns who asked permission. At school that Friday, there were dozens of lads missing with all sorts of ailments.... they got shitloads of bother when they came back. Sounded great on the telly mind and they all get to tell the tale still!
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 16:33 Post ID: #482364 - in reply to #482258
First Team Regular
As a ps to that, we Toon fans got all sorts of stick from the Liverpool 'supporters' - in blaydon comp ffs. Haha four nowt blah blah fucking blah. When I later got the odd ticket for a home match in the keegan era, I bumped into the worst offender in the leazes wearing his asics Toon top and boasting about having a season ticket. 'Oh aye ye not still support Liverpool then ?' I asked. The cunt tried to claim he was a longstanding fan. Glory hunter in the purest form. I guess he supports Man City these days.
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 16:52 Post ID: #482365 - in reply to #482364
It'll be interesting to see how safe standing/railseating changes things. It'll enable clubs to get more people in (cash is king so it will come in) and in theory would do wonders for atmosphere.
Like post
Like this post
18 August 2017 01:09 Post ID: #482369 - in reply to #482258
International Star
In my ideal world I'd have the Gallowgate raised to the same height as the Leazes and Milburn stands. Then when we get safe standing turn the whole of the Gallowgate over to standing/rail seating. We could get around 70,000 in doing that and we'd need it if Ashley wasn't such a fucking prick.
Like post
Like this post
18 August 2017 01:14 Post ID: #482370 - in reply to #482258
By the time Ashley's sweaty hands have lost control of the club, the only thing able to keep up with potential would be a ground move. The cow field up the road from St James' being the ideal choice.
Like post
Like this post
21 August 2017 11:02 Post ID: #482447 - in reply to #482258
First Team Squad
Barton is at it, yet again.

Telling Rafa how wrong he has it, as a football manager.

Like post
Like this post
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum: