Newcastle United Forum - The goalkeeping situation.
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Platinii - I would prefer a coffee table at left back instead of Perch. I doubt even a coffee table could lose the ball twice in one move.
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None4%
1-312%
4 or 541%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan208
2.Toon_NoMatterWot113
3.MickMartin64
4.billybobcat39
5.Mcnamee6739
6.The Pyrry29
7.keggy_keagal27
8.crooktownmags26
9.The Owl25
10.markylad7424
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
The goalkeeping situation.
03 June 2017 21:43 Post ID: #480128
First Team Squad
In my view, the area we need least to deal with (when talking goalkeeping; defence; midfield; and strikers.

However, it seems it is being dealt with, with changes due. For me, we're one goalkeeper heavy, and can afford to lose one in order to bring in a player elsewhere, without increasing the wage budget (significantly). I believe the squad size is about right, in total.

The fact that the goalkeeping position is being considered right now, indicates to me that Rafa has reviewed EVERY position in great detail, and is not satisfied with merely dealing with the problem areas.

That has to be, can only be, part of a very long term strategy. It is not mere 'fire-fighting' to stay afloat.

I'm encouraged a lot by this. It is clear, if we change our goalkeeping situation significantly, that there is a steady plan in going forward and not just winging it from day to day, ala previous workings.

This would prove to me beyond a doubt, that Rafa is in charge of players, and not the fat one.

All the fat one has to do now, is provide funding. And if what was paid in prize money last season, £150m for the Champions Chelsea, and £93m for the Makems - it means that pot should be significant enough to warrant - easily - the £70m outlay quoted.

Watch this space, I suppose - the goalkeeping position is an indicator of long standing aims to me, as it's not a place that needs urgent attention. But might be getting it, anyway.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
03 June 2017 22:06 Post ID: #480129 - in reply to #480128
Reserve Team Bench
Ashley's a Cunt, just thought I'd get that out of the way.
Like post
Like this post
03 June 2017 22:29 Post ID: #480130 - in reply to #480128
First Team Squad
I agree. We're not an inch further forward, than we were when the cunt took over.

However, that is fundamentally 'football' in a nutshell.

Our goalkeeping situation needs looking at, longer term; but for this season I think we'd be ok with what we have. If Rafa wants to move that forward too, it means he has plans for all the other areas, as well.

Hope we get the Chelsea youngster on loan - would prefer it to be with an option to buy if it works out (maybe he'll fall in love with the club and want to stay, anyway?), but I feel Lukaku is one that got away, and they may not make the same mistake twice.

A loanee upcoming striker inbound means we've dipped into the wages pot, but not the transfer fee one - meaning another more experienced striker should be inbound, too.

Goalkeeping I see as a kind of KPI for future plans.

Edited by CuckFan 3/6/2017 22:31
Like post
Like this post
04 June 2017 02:28 Post ID: #480136 - in reply to #480128
Every department needs work in my opinion. Massive work.

The squad we have now is fit for the championship with our goalkeepers particularly weak.

Ive never been a fan of Elliot, Darlow is at his level, Sels was a mistake and Krul has had a serious injury and then a loss of form to add.

We need a keeper that commands the box and can give the defence confidence. We haven't got that.

Distribution and kicking is shocking for all with there no tempo or belief that they know how to start an attack from the back with a well thought out throw for example. What we have, do have their moments like most keepers but for me we need one that is a shoe-in on the starting line up sheet rather than the one in form.
Like post
Like this post
04 June 2017 08:39 Post ID: #480139 - in reply to #480128
First Team Squad
Agree it's far from perfect, but no doubt at all the goalkeeper is critical to any team.

I just think it's the last place we need to strengthen - which goes to show how weak I think we are in other areas of the pitch.

But I really like the idea that Rafa has plans as he appears to, in some depth.
Like post
Like this post
04 June 2017 09:02 Post ID: #480140 - in reply to #480128
First Team Regular
A lot of play starts from the back and decision making and distribution by keepers is a huge part of that obviously. I think spectacular, diving or reaction saves can flatter to deceive as they are just one part of the skillset keepers need but often the one that gets the most attention. Rafa - if media are to be believed- obviously sees a weakness there. Perhaps he thinks we need real class in an alround keeper to bring the best out of a relatively young defense.
Like post
Like this post
04 June 2017 09:13 Post ID: #480141 - in reply to #480128
First Team Squad
We're 'top heavy' in that area, so can see one coming in and two being shipped out.
Like post
Like this post
04 June 2017 10:22 Post ID: #480143 - in reply to #480128
First Team Regular
We've got numbers but Rafa obviously doesn't think they're good enough.
Like post
Like this post
05 June 2017 16:52 Post ID: #480227 - in reply to #480143
Reserve Team
carlosvendetta - 4/6/2017 10:22

We've got numbers but Rafa obviously doesn't think they're good enough.

Stevie Wonder could see they aren't good enough man, Elliot probably the pick of a moderate bunch but we don't have a premiership standard keeper on the books right now.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: