Newcastle United Forum - Will we break our (incoming) transfer record?
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Keggy Keegal on Pardew saying we 'rebooted' - yeah we rebooted then Carver pressed Ctrl, Alt, Delete brought the task manager up and we could see Colo was using too much ram , so we ended the process and erm we're unlucky not to get something
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None5%
1-312%
4 or 540%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan156
2.Toon_NoMatterWot95
3.MickMartin43
4.Mcnamee6731
5.The Pyrry28
6.billybobcat26
7.crooktownmags25
8.The Owl20
9.Harry's Boy18
10.Gillyboat15
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Will we break our (incoming) transfer record?
18 May 2017 10:48 Post ID: #479866
First Team Squad
I've got a feeling it's kind of inevitable, in today's market.

But think it will mean shifting a player or two, first, in order to add to the kitty when it's plain we need 7 or 8 players in.

Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
18 May 2017 10:59 Post ID: #479869 - in reply to #479866
I think we'll break the £20m barrier but it wont be for anyone like Cairney.

I think the record will be broken on a new captain to help Lascelles. Maybe a central midfielder.
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 11:18 Post ID: #479870 - in reply to #479866
First Team Squad
We're going to need a top striker, as we're far too lightweight up top for goals right now.

Not aided by the fact that our main goalscorer is suffering with his hamstring - which will affect the rest of his career.

Can see us buying 2 players, a striker and a capable midfielder for upwards of 15m each, perhaps just nudging the transfer record higher; but as you say, this will be for proven players in the top flight, not for the likes of Cairney.

This 30m to 35m spend on just two players, will need to see some money clawed back in to pay for other inbound players too.
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 13:34 Post ID: #479873 - in reply to #479866
Academy
Decent strikers are worth their weight in gold, As previously stated Gayle will struggling with his hamstrings, Mitro still struggling (i do hope he can offer something ......he just doesnt show it often enough, maybe in the prem he can where defending is less physical, Murphy has fulfilled his role and weighed in with vital goals and never disgraced himself but not for the prem. I wish him well with his new club. Ayoze has struggled this past season, but he performed pretty well enough the last time we were in the prem. The forward we get will cost a pretty penny (if prem expierience is the order of the day) otherwise it will be an unproven centre forward from abroad. Risky business as time needed to settle in etc (hope to hell it wont be Deeney)
I think a hefty chunk will be spent on midfield in Cairney and MacCarthy (fulham and everton) and a good centre half or two . I like the look of that kid from Celtic and a seasoned pro, someone in the mould of Terry. Bulk out the squad with a left back and several others and replace the departures. Improve the spine .
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 14:00 Post ID: #479876 - in reply to #479866
We've been linked with Andre Gray and Joshua King. Both will be £20m+ for the same sort of return that Demba Ba got us the other season.

The strikers available or likely to be on the move means it's probably the most sought after position this Summer and one that will affect the budget a bit unless we get it sorted early.

All these are potentially or rumoured to be moving:

Aguero, Diego Costa, Lukaku, Wayne Rooney, Antoine Griezemann, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Michy Batsuai and that young kid from Monaco. This will have a knock on effect for the next tier in which we'll be feeding in.

Aside from Gray and King, in my opinion it'll contain the likes of Troy Deeney, Wilfried Bony, Negredo of Boro and Hernandez of Hull.

Personally, id try for that Rondon of West Brom as there's something about him that could click here or see if we can get Giroud off Arsenal.
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 15:11 Post ID: #479877 - in reply to #479866
First Team Squad
If we could get Defoe in, even for the one season - it would save the expenditure for elsewhere (midfield and defence), while meaning we'd be sure to score as well.

But as he's so popular with the Makems, he might have some loyalty in not wanting to play for their rivals.

I'd have him in a shot, if we could get him for just one season for 2m tops.

If not, we are looking at a BIG spend. 15m upwards.

Edited by CuckFan 18/5/2017 15:12
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 15:27 Post ID: #479878 - in reply to #479877
CuckFan - 18/5/2017 15:11

If we could get Defoe in, even for the one season - it would save the expenditure for elsewhere (midfield and defence), while meaning we'd be sure to score as well.

But as he's so popular with the Makems, he might have some loyalty in not wanting to play for their rivals.

I'd have him in a shot, if we could get him for just one season for 2m tops.

If not, we are looking at a BIG spend. 15m upwards.

Defoe wont be coming here, I think we can safely put that to bed.

He's looking to finish his career at one of his old clubs with a nice signing on bonus and big wage. There's no sell on potential here for the club to risk and that's before you factor in the Bradley Lowery scenario.

As for the BIG spend of £15m upwards, when we last got promoted we 'earned' £47m in prize money etc for the season, this year sees the overseas payment beat that alone and that's before anything else, so the cash is there to a minimum of £50m extra than then.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 07:56 Post ID: #479914 - in reply to #479866
First Team Regular
I'd be delighted if we got Josh King. Four quality signings for the starting 11 and a few back ups and i think we'd be alright.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 22:51 Post ID: #479946 - in reply to #479866
First Team Squad
A top striker has to be our number one priority I would think.

Gayle won't be able to do it on his own, now he's suffering from the dreaded hamstring thing that blights players of his style.

Others we have won't get into double figures.

That's likely to be where the record will be broken.

Edited by CuckFan 20/5/2017 22:52
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: