Newcastle United Forum - My theory on the £70m kitty.
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Alan Pardew 23/4/2011 “The most important thing is we build on this year and start challenging for trophies as soon as we can.”
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None5%
1-312%
4 or 540%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan170
2.Toon_NoMatterWot99
3.MickMartin51
4.Mcnamee6734
5.The Pyrry28
6.billybobcat27
7.crooktownmags25
8.The Owl22
9.keggy_keagal19
10.Harry's Boy18
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
My theory on the £70m kitty.
15 May 2017 20:05 Post ID: #479831
First Team Squad
As postulated a while back - and how it 'will do' for the need to bring in 7 or 8 new players.

The squad only needs to grow by 1 or 2 at most anyway - with the deadwood shipping out., and then the transfer fund topped up with the proceeds from this.

So, as it stands Atsu is first in. £6.5m. None out yet.

That's one player in of the 7 or 8 needed, with £63.5m remaining. +1 player so far.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
15 May 2017 22:09 Post ID: #479833 - in reply to #479831
First Team Regular
£70m plus the money from player sales wont stop them going straight back down. sorry but they need £200m spent just to finish in 10th place or lower. They need to prioritize on defenders because thats where they need fixing most.
Like post
Like this post
15 May 2017 22:50 Post ID: #479834 - in reply to #479833
First Team Squad
Completely disagree with that. Absolutely and utterly.

Rafa will aim, in this window, and possibly in the next; to obtain (at least) two senior players per field position, and one junior.

Then, in consecutive windows, replace the two weakest positions on the pitch and/or obtain target of opportunity, ultimately, giving us a much, much better squad and balance.

Talk of £200m or we'll be in a relegation fight is MILES off the mark. Even of half that.

£70m is 7 £10m players. What he saves in one, he'll be able to spend on another. The first is through the door it seems, for £6.5 approx.

Relegation? As we are now; yes.

But we can only realistically finish 3rd bottom as it is. Brighton, who did very well this season will be below us - their squad is paper thin, and they won't have the income to invest on the same scale as all other Premier League sides. Whoever comes up via the play-offs has zero chance of staying up - they are just not good enough, nor will have the finance to make a good attempt.

Plus, there are at least a half dozen sides in the Premier League that are also dogshit.

Yes - as it - we'd be in a relegation scrap.

But with £70m wisely spent, and with the money added to this from players moved on - we'll have more than enough to finish top half.

Edited by CuckFan 15/5/2017 22:55
Like post
Like this post
15 May 2017 22:58 Post ID: #479835 - in reply to #479831
I also dont think we'll be in a relegation scrap.

Not because im expecting some sort of record spending at the club although the transfer record may be broken once or twice in the next couple of years but because for the first time in ages, we have someone in charge who knows how to build for the future.

There shouldn't be too much pressure on the players because there will be no official target other than to win the next game ahead and because Rafa isn't afraid to drop any player then there should be less chance of players being on the beach.

The most interesting thing for me, isn't so much who we'll buy as I think he'll go for a new spine and a left winger but more the formation we'll play. Rafa has faith in his defensive 4-2-3-1 come 4-4-1-1 but more and more premier league clubs are going 3 at the back.

Like post
Like this post
15 May 2017 23:04 Post ID: #479836 - in reply to #479835
First Team Squad
'we have someone in charge who knows how to build for the future.'

This is the key in my mind as well.

Rafa KNOWS that 11 players won't cut it, you need to have 22 1st-teamers, plus, youth coming through to push them on.

It's this combination of 33 (more realistically, 34, as you always need an extra 'keeper (but even then, we already have one too many, I reckon Krul and/or Selz will be sold)) that Rafa will aim for first - complete in this window if he can - at latest, the winter window.

Then it's a simple process of identifying the weakest couple of positions, or which players are getting too old, and replace them.

It's a completely logical strategy that he is doing.

Balance. We've missed this for fucking forever it seems like.

His methodology sticks out like a sore thumb - and he doesn't need a huge budget for this £70m plus sales will do it (this season). Then, he'll need a lesser, but regular supply to improve the parts he needs to improve.
Like post
Like this post
15 May 2017 23:26 Post ID: #479838 - in reply to #479831
First Team Regular
Look at the price of crappy players your paying £10m for them, a class player is way way out of this clubs finances so they are going to be left with a lot of the shite that lost home/away to blackburn rovers a club relegated to the third tier of football.
Like post
Like this post
15 May 2017 23:34 Post ID: #479839 - in reply to #479838
billybobcat - 15/5/2017 23:26

Look at the price of crappy players your paying £10m for them, a class player is way way out of this clubs finances so they are going to be left with a lot of the shite that lost home/away to blackburn rovers a club relegated to the third tier of football.

These results happen to the best of teams. Think of the season where Derby got the lowest premier league total points with something like 11. 4 of them came against us.
Like post
Like this post
15 May 2017 23:58 Post ID: #479840 - in reply to #479831
First Team Squad
I'm with billy on this one,70 million will take us into the bottom 6.
What's the issue here?We have a class manager who wants to get the club mid table then push on the season after.
Fatties playing with fire again,he's worth 2.4. billion,either invest or fuck off!
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2017 00:13 Post ID: #479841 - in reply to #479840
Rytoon - 15/5/2017 23:58

I'm with billy on this one,70 million will take us into the bottom 6.
What's the issue here?We have a class manager who wants to get the club mid table then push on the season after.
Fatties playing with fire again,he's worth 2.4. billion,either invest or fuck off!

Agreeing on how much we think we need aside, no-one even knows how much Rafa can spend.

It may even be less than that although if he's happy to stay then he must be confident the amount of investment is enough to progress. That's enough for me to be confident.
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2017 01:54 Post ID: #479842 - in reply to #479831
First Team Squad
I'm as elated as you that we've got out of the fizzy league & we have a manager who has the club & city behind him.
I'm prepared to go along with the euphoria,but there's no tinted black & white glasses here.
Tubby knows the score & I wouldn't share a pint with the fucker,he's toxic.
Benitez knows this,he's playing him & fatties sweating,he needs to put his hands in his pocket.
Fuck his yachts in the Carribean,either invest or sell,don't feel confident in him,he has form.
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2017 12:59 Post ID: #479847 - in reply to #479831
First Team Regular
Where has the sissoko, wynaldum money gone, more to the point???
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2017 13:05 Post ID: #479849 - in reply to #479831
First Team Squad
Fatty's pocket. He own's the club.

He's not the type to throw 30+ million on a player, as Wrighty would like. For the reason he can see Shitoko now at Spuds. (So glad they didn't win the title, and give that knacker a medal).

In some ways, I'm pleased he won't spunk huge wads on players. But he needs to invest, and invest wisely. Rafa can do that for him.

70m, plus, all the proceeds of sales.

That'll be enough, this season.
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2017 13:09 Post ID: #479851 - in reply to #479831
The Sissoko initial instalment and the Wijnaldum money wont be reflected into the club accounts until next April. Even then all the Sissoko cash wasn't paid up front.
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2017 13:21 Post ID: #479852 - in reply to #479831
Another factor in this alleged kitty is what's at stake. The higher we finish, the bigger the prize for everyone.

Even this season that's still ongoing. Burnley have a potential £12m match against West Ham this weekend.

If they lose and other results go against them then their merit payment is £7.6m.

If they win and the other couple of results go in their favour then they'll receive a merit payment of £19m.

That's why teams will stop switching off in future as it's costing too much cash.
Like post
Like this post
18 May 2017 12:19 Post ID: #479872 - in reply to #479831
On reflection. Sometimes you just need to look back a little to give a little faith going forwards as just 5 seasons ago and under Ashley's ownership.

Just the next season after the club banked the Andy Carroll cash and the 2nd after coming back up, we had this possible line up.

GK. Tim Krul with Fraser Foster, Steve Harper and Rob Elliot in reserve.

DF The weak link as we pointed out but still.... Danny Simpson, Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon with Ryan Taylor, Mike Williamson, James Perch, Paul Dummet and James Tavernier in reserve.

MF Ben Arfa, Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Jonas with Danny Guthrie, Mehdi Abeid, Alan Smith, Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux, Shane Ferguson, Dan Gosling and Haris Vuckic in reserve

FW Demba Ba, Cisse (later on) with Shola, Leon Best, Lovenkrands and Nile Ranger in reserve.

A little bit of investment in the right areas and the right manager could have seen a whole lot more. Hopefully mistakes and lessons have been learned.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: