Newcastle United Forum - Players we should sign
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Sir Laz - 'Watch out for them perves!'
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None4%
1-312%
4 or 541%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan224
2.Toon_NoMatterWot113
3.MickMartin67
4.Mcnamee6741
5.billybobcat40
6.The Pyrry30
7.crooktownmags28
8.keggy_keagal27
9.markylad7427
10.The Owl27
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2):
Players we should sign
25 April 2017 08:28 Post ID: #479269
First Team Regular
Defoe's a given, the other one is more controversial and quite sickening as I can't stand him, but we should break the bank (we won't) to get John Terry. His experience, nastiness and leadership would be invaluable to staying up and bringing along younger players (shagging their wives).
Seriously we've already got one dispicable lowlife in Ashley, may as well get another.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
25 April 2017 08:32 Post ID: #479271 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
loads of really, really good ones....fuckin loads of them
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 09:31 Post ID: #479272 - in reply to #479269
Personally I dont think we need as much as we did in the Summer when McClaren came.

The mentality is completely different in which even the most average bloke will try to put in a shift and I reckon 3 decent signings minimum is needed. One in central defence, one in the middle and one top striker.

Depending on what the target is will determine the spend but then again, we dont even know how much sponsorship cash we're getting or if Ashley will tweak the policy a little to allow an overdraft.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 09:59 Post ID: #479273 - in reply to #479272
First Team Regular
Toon_NoMatterWot - 25/4/2017 09:31

Personally I dont think we need as much as we did in the Summer when McClaren came.

The mentality is completely different in which even the most average bloke will try to put in a shift and I reckon 3 decent signings minimum is needed. One in central defence, one in the middle and one top striker.

Depending on what the target is will determine the spend but then again, we dont even know how much sponsorship cash we're getting or if Ashley will tweak the policy a little to allow an overdraft.

3, didn't know you posted on here Mike, you really think those fullbacks can cope with the likes of Hazard? That midfield can compete with Willian, Kante etc. Christ we'll get steamrollered week in week out.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 10:11 Post ID: #479274 - in reply to #479269
First Team Squad
The football was dire last night Tony - we need about 7 real quality signings.

Long ball rubbish it was in the main, and even then the amount of times we got caught out at the back was shocking.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 10:22 Post ID: #479275 - in reply to #479273
Paul Kannell - 25/4/2017 09:59

Toon_NoMatterWot - 25/4/2017 09:31

3, didn't know you posted on here Mike, you really think those fullbacks can cope with the likes of Hazard? That midfield can compete with Willian, Kante etc. Christ we'll get steamrollered week in week out.

Why are my words always twisted?

Aside from the fact that this squad isn't in the premier league at the minute, you cant compare as it will be completely different. Dare I say it, I bet there'd be games where the likes of the top players would struggle in this league for varying reasons aside from the many teams that play clog and rush with the fancy Dans not fancying it.

On saying that, a minimum of 3 decent players is what Dekka would class as purples with a spend of at least £15m on each is needed. At a push id guess that another 5 would come in with the left hand side particularly weak as well as right back targeted here. These sort of positions away from the spine wont cost as much to fill. The purples there as catalysts to the others.

The danger for many people is that they expect some massive kitty to be spent but that has been proven time and time again to fail more times than it works but if Rafa manages to convince Ashley of his project then an improved squad per window should see a target of 3 years or so to aim for Europe as mid table will be the target for the considerable future.

I hate the use of the phrase 'managing expectations' but we're going to have to learn to crawl in the top league again never mind walk or run, so in that extent we have the right bloke in charge.

Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 10:24 Post ID: #479276 - in reply to #479274
CuckFan - 25/4/2017 10:11

Long ball rubbish it was in the main, and even then the amount of times we got caught out at the back was shocking.

We didn't play the long ball enough for me although the wind caused a few issues I thought.

This league is full of teams that compact the middle so apart from trying to get round the wings, it's the only option half the time.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 11:37 Post ID: #479277 - in reply to #479276
It really depends on what you would class as strengthening. Last summer we strengthened the team without addressing the woeful lack of a squad. The left back area is still an issue but I think this is something that seems to affect a lot of sides there just seems to be so few decent ones around.. Liverpool for example use Milner there.

The only ones I'd keep be it for squad or team are Ritchie, Gayle, Hayden , Clark, Yedlin and Shelvey . Midfield is appalling and has been found wanting even at this level we need at least 5 new options there . Lack of pace is a key issue out wide. If you want to stay up you need a 15 goal a season striker, I see Gayle as a squad striker at best especially in light of his fitness issues.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 11:40 Post ID: #479278 - in reply to #479269
Star Player
We have two PL players in Shelvey and Richie and a couple of squad players in Hayden, Gayle and Mbemba the rest are shit Krul will be back as well. Lascelles will be destroyed in the PL and we still havent signed a left back despite needing one for 9 years. I hope those with the rose tinted glasses enjoy the promotion because without major investment we will be back in the championship.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:07 Post ID: #479279 - in reply to #479269
Its not about wearing rose-tinted glasses for me but more of a realisation of where we are. People cant let their hate of Ashley dictate their opinion although it clearly does when it's separate to the footballing side of things.

The scenario we are in now is completely different to any other time and cant really be judged. Not even with the last promoted side of 2010.

That side was still in effect a premier league side that had been through a political battle that rocked us all. A side that should never went down but did with the promotion run that followed an inevitable event that seemed to provide a false dawn of new optimism.

We warned that a lack of ambition would eventually catch up and besides the decent enough season of finishing top 5, the lack of spend after was done so with the aim to 'just do enough' to exist.

Apathy amongst the crowd spread to the team and it became rotten from top to bottom. Relegation with the set up here was always going to happen but you'd think they've learned by that mistake.

With Rafa came new optimism, a team that shouldn't have gone up on paper did just that. It's not about playing champagne football but about doing what task was in front of it against the odds of being everyone elses cup final but when you think of the squad, we haven't lost that much from the one that shouldn't have went down.

The dross that we sold in Sissoko, Cabella, Cisse. The players we let go in Coloccini and Steven Taylor. All of these were classed as shite by many. Townsend was the only one we would have kept and Wijnaldum to an extent although his attitude wasn't right. Even Janmaat had given up.

Out of that lot id personally have kept one in Townsend. The rest were shit or had the wrong mentality. A mentality that doesn't fit with the one that Rafa has in place.

Taking this into account would I say that three big signings and a scattering of upcoming Johnny foreigners and squad players would see progress for next season? You're right I would and that's well within budget although the main task then is to keep it going until we get to the top.

That is always going to be the sticking point with Ashley though.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:17 Post ID: #479280 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
My thoughts for what they are worth.

First of all i'm part elated part empty that promotion has been secured (big shout out to Huddersfield) and we will be returning to the premiership as runners up to Chris Hughton's Brighton.

Clearly we need players and clearly Ashley will only supply what is necessary for mid to low table mediocrity.

Those that don't walk around in a LSD induced psychosis will now realise what Benitez is.

I have spent considerable time,effort, and thought in compiling a list of players from our current squad that I believe would be courted by managers from the top 10 teams in the big boys league.

Here it is, additions and feedback would be welcome.

Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:23 Post ID: #479281 - in reply to #479276
First Team Regular
Toon_NoMatterWot - 25/4/2017 10:24

CuckFan - 25/4/2017 10:11

We didn't play the long ball enough for me although the wind caused a few issues I thought.

This league is full of teams that compact the middle so apart from trying to get round the wings, it's the only option half the time.

Lots of teams with lesser squads play more attractive and expansive football in the sky bet.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:31 Post ID: #479285 - in reply to #479280
PieMag - 25/4/2017 12:17

My thoughts for what they are worth.

First of all i'm part elated part empty that promotion has been secured (big shout out to Huddersfield) and we will be returning to the premiership as runners up to Chris Hughton's Brighton.

Clearly we need players and clearly Ashley will only supply what is necessary for mid to low table mediocrity.

Those that don't walk around in a LSD induced psychosis will now realise what Benitez is.

I have spent considerable time,effort, and thought in compiling a list of players from our current squad that I believe would be courted by managers from the top 10 teams in the big boys league.

Here it is, additions and feedback would be welcome.

I remember when we just missed out on the premier league and then came 5th under Bobby Robson one year, people still complained. Apart from that Im interested in the people that had realised what Benitez is.

For me and many, he's right up there with the best managers we've had for the overall package. To involve so many of the unnoticed ones into what could have been one of his biggest moments considering the shite he's had to put up with from many clubs and the media, it spoke volumes.

To take a rotting corpse of a club, turn a load of things around to breath massive new life in it and still get grief some 12 months later in not quite being perfect enough is probably the biggest compliment he can get.

We failed under Keegan playing some of the best football ever seen and we've never been allowed to forget that by so many. Rafa has got us promoted at the first attempt and it will be forgotten as it cant be used against us.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:42 Post ID: #479287 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
"For me and many, he's right up there with the best managers we've had for the overall package."

No offence to you or anyone else toony,but he has to be.

How else could the capitulation to Ashley be justified, especially after slagging of Pardew for doing exactly what Benitez is doing ?

As for one of the "best managers we've had",he's done nothing at our club so far to back your claim.

Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:56 Post ID: #479289 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
"To take a rotting corpse of a club, turn a load of things around to breath massive new life in it and still get grief some 12 months later in not quite being perfect enough is probably the biggest compliment he can get. "

He's bough shit players to replace the shit players he shipped out, and the gaffa has publicly slagged him off

I don't see what you do,the club is still a rotting corpse.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:56 Post ID: #479290 - in reply to #479269
Manager
10 £20million players are needed as a bare minimum to get to 17th place.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:57 Post ID: #479291 - in reply to #479287
PieMag - 25/4/2017 12:42

"For me and many, he's right up there with the best managers we've had for the overall package."

No offence to you or anyone else toony,but he has to be.

How else could the capitulation to Ashley be justified, especially after slagging of Pardew for doing exactly what Benitez is doing ?

As for one of the "best managers we've had",he's done nothing at our club so far to back your claim.

He's backed up other people's claims though aside from my personal likeness of him.

How else can you explain a shite team playing shite football with shit atmospheres getting hardly any refereeing decisions go for them as well as being everybody elses cup final but then still be promoted under the guidance of our balding Spaniard?

Let's not forget last years shit team still providing a £30m profit through sales and additions to do so.

An argument against my view is that it could be said ive been brain washed or had my expectations managed but they haven't. Im talking in every little detail of things he does. He's like an Anti-Pardew. A bloke so humble that if he donated part of his wages to the food bank or something, it wouldn't surprise me.

My belief of Keegan, back in the day, for being of messiah type standing, wasn't just because of his exploits on or off the pitch but for the aura he seemed to have surround him. Rafa has one too.

Let the love out man and enjoy the bloke while he's here.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 12:58 Post ID: #479292 - in reply to #479290
Officemonkey - 25/4/2017 12:56

10 £20million players are needed as a bare minimum to get to 17th place.

Personally id prefer 5 x £40m players.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 13:05 Post ID: #479293 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
"Let the love out man and enjoy the bloke while he's here."

I wish I could toony, but it would take a lot of love and a massive leap of faith to enjoy that brand of football.:17:

Don't make such a big deal of our promotion either,remember Ashley/Hughton did it first time as champions.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 13:09 Post ID: #479294 - in reply to #479293
PieMag - 25/4/2017 13:05

I wish I could toony, but it would take a lot of love and a massive leap of faith to enjoy that brand of football.:17:

Don't make such a big deal of our promotion either,remember Ashley/Hughton did it first time as champions.

With a better team that hadn't been riddled with apathy.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 13:11 Post ID: #479295 - in reply to #479269
Academy
Andre Gray
Danny Ings
Sigurdsson
Lucas
Alfie Mawson
Andrew Robertson
George friend
Tom Ince
Aaron mooy
Ben Osborne
Tom. Cairney
Pontus janson
Jacob Murphy.

A selection of these lads would boost the squad.

Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 13:14 Post ID: #479296 - in reply to #479294
First Team Regular
Toon_NoMatterWot - 25/4/2017 13:09

PieMag - 25/4/2017 13:05

With a better team that hadn't been riddled with apathy.

Benitez should have bought better players then.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 13:16 Post ID: #479297 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
Plus Hughton has done it this time with a lesser team.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 14:31 Post ID: #479298 - in reply to #479297
PieMag - 25/4/2017 13:16

Plus Hughton has done it this time with a lesser team.

No he hasn't. He did it with a team that was established in the division and allowed to grow. Gus Poyet took them up from struggling in division 3 to a losing play off game in the fizzy pop in which he 'allegedly' shit on the dressing room floor, his sending on gardening leave affected the team enough to chop and change managers.

They still qualified for the play offs again the next year when for some reason the season after, Brighton had a nightmare season in which they appointed Sammi Hypia before they sacked him at Xmas with them 4th bottom. Hughton came in and they finished just 6 points above the drop zone and on a nightmare run that could have seen them relegated if the season had went on longer or Hughton appointed earlier although we'll never know.

The season after and with the same side, he failed again by losing in the play offs which included him being allowed a January spend that included Knockaert.

All in all, Hughton may have helped improve them enough to go up granted but he's not waved any magic around to do so, they've just been allowed to naturally evolve without anyone buying any of their players off them whilst rotating the stock with better.

Rafa has had umpteen things to change here not to mention turn a bunch of players who were beaten before a ball was kicked into a side adequately equipped to get out of this league. A league that has taken Hughton 3 seasons to conquer with the foundations well in place there.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 15:33 Post ID: #479302 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
Undoubtedly Brighton's squad is weaker toony ,we saw that when they played us.

Hughton must have done something right,he is ahead of a manager who had loads more to spend as well as possessing players with premiership experience that all managers and pundits agreed were the best side in the sky bet ,not forgetting the anti football tactics he employed as a safe way to accumulate points.

You point out that it took Hughton three seasons to get promotion with the foundations well in place at Brighton,and also point out that he had a stronger squad and that's why he took us up first time.

It was a squad that was relegated from the premiership and deflated, as a first time manager he really did wave a magic wand rallied the team and had them organised and playing good football.

He undoubtedly did a better job than the much more experienced Benitez has done with a team he took down and had plenty of time to mould and add to in the close season

Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 15:49 Post ID: #479304 - in reply to #479302
PieMag - 25/4/2017 15:33

Undoubtedly Brighton's squad is weaker toony ,we saw that when they played us.

Hughton must have done something right,he is ahead of a manager who had loads more to spend as well as possessing players with premiership experience that all managers and pundits agreed were the best side in the sky bet ,not forgetting the anti football tactics he employed as a safe way to accumulate points.

You point out that it took Hughton three seasons to get promotion with the foundations well in place at Brighton,and also point out that he had a stronger squad and that's why he took us up first time.

It was a squad that was relegated from the premiership and deflated, as a first time manager he really did wave a magic wand rallied the team and had them organised and playing good football.

He undoubtedly did a better job than the much more experienced Benitez has done with a team he took down and had plenty of time to mould and add to in the close season

As I said earlier, it's still difficult to compare because we were still far too good to go down in 2009 but did so due to the politics thus resulting in less of the need for change once the players that were left got humped off Orient in the pre-season after and had their clear the air arguments. Also the fizzy league wasn't as competitive.

The relegation last season was due to a lack of investment in all areas of the club.

Based on your theory then PieMag there should be no excuse for Brighton to finish below us next time.
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 16:08 Post ID: #479310 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
Finish below us where ?

In the premiership or next season in the sky bet ?
Like post
Like this post
25 April 2017 19:19 Post ID: #479319 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
They need to spend heavily on the defence considering that's where most of the play will be, in Newcastle's half. Benitez will be gone I think even before a ball is kicked, because fatty won't give him what he wants. That gives benitez the perfect opportunity to leave without losing face with the fans.
Like post
Like this post
12 May 2017 22:53 Post ID: #479796 - in reply to #479269
If Chelsea want rid of Gary Cahill then we'd be daft not to try to get him. Also while we're talking Chelsea, im going to mention again that Cesc Fabregas would be an excellent signing regardless of it taking up a massive chunk of the alleged spend available.

Disregard the fact that ive been on the ale today with these thoughts because I would have taken Moyes as boss when I knew that McClaren was on the brink, such was the calibre of boss I thought we could attract.

Just think more and more that Rafa may want a trophy signing to give the captaincy to and relieve Lascelles of it's duties for a few more years.
Like post
Like this post
13 May 2017 16:56 Post ID: #479801 - in reply to #479271
Academy
McCreery - 25/4/2017 08:32

loads of really, really good ones....fuckin loads of them

I like it , and i agree with this statement
Like post
Like this post
13 May 2017 20:08 Post ID: #479802 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
I agree with TNMW on this one. Mentality is huge and I think that's the biggest impact Benitez has had - and very quickly too.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 12:10 Post ID: #479921 - in reply to #479269
Aside from the British market being inflated and us probably shopping abroad for value, below is a list of premier league players that are available on a free transfer.

I'll mark the ones with a * that I think could do a good job or be a genuine target.

ARSENAL
Santi Cazorla *
Yaya Sanogo

BOURNEMOUTH
Andrew Surman

BURNLEY
George Boyd - would take a chance on him as a squad player.
Joey Barton
Paul Robinson

CHELSEA
Eduardo
John Terry

CRYSTAL PALACE
Kwesi Appiah
Fraizer Campbell
Damien Delaney
Mathieu Flamini
Zeki Fryers
Wayne Hennessey
Martin Kelly
Joe Ledley
Julian Speroni

EVERTON
Arouna Kone
Conor McAleny

HULL CITY
Brian Lenihan
Shaun Maloney

LEICESTER CITY
Marcin Wasilewski

LIVERPOOL
Lucas Leiva *
Alex Manninger

MANCHESTER CITY
Willy Caballero
Gael Clichy
Jesus Navas *
Bacary Sagna
Yaya Toure *
Pablo Zabaleta *

MANCHESTER UNITED
Michael Carrick *
Zlatan Ibrahimovic - got no chance

MIDDLESBROUGH
Dimitrios Konstantopoulos
Grant Leadbitter

SOUTHAMPTON
Martin Caceres
Lloyd Isgrove
Cuco Martina
Stuart Taylor

STOKE CITY
Charlie Adam
Daniel Bachmann
Phil Bardsley
Shay Given
Stephen Ireland
George Waring

SUNDERLAND
Victor Anichebe
Will Buckley
George Honeyman
Jan Kirchhoff
Sebastian Larsson
Joleon Lescott
John O’Shea
Steven Pienaar

SWANSEA CITY
Marvin Emnes
Gerhard Tremmel

WATFORD
Rene Gilmartin

WEST BROMWICH ALBION
Darren Fletcher
Sebastien Pocognoli
Jack Rose

WEST HAM UNITED
Alvaro Arbeloa
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 12:28 Post ID: #479924 - in reply to #479269
Academy
Jan Kirkoff took a wee bit of time to settle in the region and Prem League but when he did and was fit , he turned out to be a very good player. I would have him at our club. As for the rest, I would have Sagna as a person to challange Dummet or vice versa and i have always thought Martin Kelly has always been a solid performer.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 12:33 Post ID: #479926 - in reply to #479269
First Team Squad
In that lot, there are several that would be choice picks as they could actually do a good job for us.

Picking up a couple of those up would free the finance for wherever else it is needed.

Citeh would be my starting point.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 12:36 Post ID: #479927 - in reply to #479269
First Team Squad
Some will have just a year left on their deals too, so can be picked up cheap.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 19:29 Post ID: #479934 - in reply to #479269
Club Legend
Andy Carroll and Duafra Sahko will be shown the door so you may end up with one of them, someone mentioned Arbeloa, a total waste of space who would be better off retiring. Three of the Yids players want out, but I don't think that any of the scoundrels that run our clubs would be wiling to fork out for them. Expect lots of rumours and then the signing of mainly loan deals on the last days of the transfer window. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3587677/eric-dier-wants-to-l...
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 19:43 Post ID: #479938 - in reply to #479269
First Team Squad
Bargains to be had, for sure. Carroll isn't one of them.

There is no reason to go out spunking £30m+ on players.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 21:32 Post ID: #479942 - in reply to #479269
First Team Regular
Fatty won't go out spending £30m on any player the fucking hungry twat he is.
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 23:01 Post ID: #479947 - in reply to #479269
First Team Squad
When circa £30m buys you Carroll and Sissoko, I'm not surprised.

What did we pay for Perez? £1.5m for him, was it? He's hardly prolific but he must have almost as many goals as Carroll since we sold him?
Like post
Like this post
20 May 2017 23:04 Post ID: #479949 - in reply to #479269
Forum Sexpert
Carroll in my opinion wudn't be a bad shout.Played with his heart on his sleeve when he was here and truth be known I didn't think he wanted to leave. Has a big presence in the 18 yard box when either defending or attacking. His link up play is something that as been missing at the club for a while. If we could get him for say £12/15m I think he would want to prove a point in coming back. Add to this I believe Gayle could prove to be quite prolific with his pace and vision playing alongside a player like Carroll. Also think Sagna and Shawcross or Gibson would be good additions to the back four. Mc Carthy would improve the midfield too I think. Maybe another bid for Townsend should be made as well. The 5 I have mentioned along with what we already have should be good enough to sustain a decent 10th to 14th position in the table in the first season back. Plus no doubt there will be a few additions from overseas being paid for by outgoing players,then we will no doubt have a couple of loan players to factor in.

Edited by Sir Laz 20/5/2017 23:06
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2):
Jump to forum: