Newcastle United Forum - NUFC v Leeds
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: kevin Keegan - "I'd love it if we beat them. Love it. He’s gone down in my estimation and you can tell him from me... Man United haven’t won this title yet, and I’d love it if we beat them....Love it"
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None5%
1-312%
4 or 540%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan163
2.Toon_NoMatterWot99
3.MickMartin48
4.Mcnamee6734
5.The Pyrry28
6.billybobcat26
7.crooktownmags25
8.The Owl22
9.keggy_keagal19
10.Harry's Boy18
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3): 1 2
NUFC v Leeds
15 April 2017 10:00 Post ID: #479037 - in reply to #478952
First Team Regular
I think the substitutions were made with Monday in mind. We sill stayed in control of the game after the subs but you can't legislate for poor defending. If Clark is fit for Monday I'd pair him with Mbemba and give Lascelles a rest. Murphy must be a certain starter against his old team and I can see Diame replacing Perez. De Yedlin should also replace Anita. Huddersfield have a tough looking game at Derby and if we beat Ipswich I can see promotion being guaranteed against Preston.

It's hard not to get too emotional when you concede in the 95th minute but it was a good performance which we need to carry into Mondays game.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
15 April 2017 11:20 Post ID: #479038 - in reply to #479009
Toon_NoMatterWot - 14/4/2017 23:39

Billy I know you're a frustrated fan but you have to judge us on where we are at present and not where we've been. The reality is, is that we've a championship squad with a handful who can cut it in the top league on their day.

The squad was built for one job and according to the table, we're still doing what was written on the tin with our intentions. Aim for promotion.

As for making Benitez come out of this smelling of roses, if we achieve the aim then he'll smell of nowt but.

Tonight's result was nowt to do with Ashley policy, Rafa tactics or performance. It was because the aim of the game is to score more goals than the opposition and we didn't.

To say the life was drained out of me when their equaliser went in was an understatement as we were so far on top with a game that deserved so much better but it's happened far too often this season with the Blackburn away one another that springs to mind. That alone equates to 5 extra points that we should have.

Also factor in the fact that we have had the most biased set of officials against us the whole season that have not only affected our games but also helped rival clubs around us with the amount of penalties the other top teams have had more than us not to mention the amount of strange decisions that have helped others gain late goals. Huddersfield again today for about the 6th time.

It's as if the EFL see us as a massive factor in us being in it due to the financial spin offs they get as well as it's profile raised not to mention that we're the side that every other raises their game against and they play their best performance of the season. To our credit, we're still well placed.

As for the game, there's not too much to add to what the TV shows but without seeing it to compare, i'll give my opinion.

Ritchie was man of the match by a mile for me. His on ball stuff was top notch but his off ball running and making others make their runs was excellent.

Hayden had a good return and allows Shelvey to do his stuff virtually unnoticed as if he's not the most important any more. Mitrovic played his role well but should really have had a partner closer to him as he held the ball up well and flicked on when needed. The fact Rafa doesn't play a 2 up top system but a more supporting build up is evident.

On saying that, the more the game went on the likes of Perez shone and the anonymous, in the first half, Gouffran came into it.

On another day, probably in a different league without the shite officials we get, we'd have got a stone wall pen although even then, we get them disallowed for fuck all.

On reflection we battered them although the Leeds fan that ran on the pitch, probably through the exit gates at the Gallowgate that open near the end, bowed down on his knees to Rob Green in the goal at the end probably spoiled the momentum we had to a degree. The fat man dragged away to the corner before getting attacked by a few and then kicked all over outside.

Mistakes aside and a Colback foul that was loudly cheered before the aftermath resulted in their goal, we didn't deserve that tonight after everything that was put into it. In some games we've laboured through and been rightly accused of papering over the cracks but blaming anything but the game of football for that is creating a false agenda.

Atmosphere was the best of the season by some distance and the Leeds fans heard once or twice if that although Sky will have had a mic in their end.

I've disagreed plenty of times so only fair to point out I agree with your assessment of the game. Very similar thoughts to mine.
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 11:22 Post ID: #479039 - in reply to #478995
billybobcat - 14/4/2017 22:19

Keggy it was a very good performance until he made those ridiculous substitutions. He just can't help himself, how many times this season has his decisions cost the club points. Colback for fuck sake the ginger fucker is a jinx. I'd sooner play the bloody substitute keeper instead of Colback he is that shite.

Only seen this this morning . How many times have Rafa's decisions won us points ? Plenty looking at the league table .
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 11:49 Post ID: #479040 - in reply to #479038
keggy_keagal - 15/4/2017 11:20

I've disagreed plenty of times so only fair to point out I agree with your assessment of the game. Very similar thoughts to mine.

Cheers Keggy. Just hope we get promotion sorted and then as quickly as possible, then we can all debate on the stuff in the top league again.
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 13:43 Post ID: #479042 - in reply to #478952
First Team Regular
I've read "this squad has been built to get us out of the Championship" a good few times over recent months.....

Has there been an official statement to that effect?

If so that also translates as wholesale changes in the Summer to build a squad that can compete in the Premier League

I very much doubt either are true

Edited by McCreery 15/4/2017 13:44
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 15:38 Post ID: #479043 - in reply to #479042
I don't think the squad's even been built . It's a mish mash of players Benitez has brought in (Gayle, Hayden , Clark, Lazaar etc), players already there he thought could do a job (Dummett, Lascelles, Shelvey, Gouffran) and players we couldn't shift (Mitrovic , Sameobi, Mbemba, Haidarra ). Benitez has had one window in which he's cobbled together a side ready to compete for the Championship after years of mismanagement.
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 18:46 Post ID: #479044 - in reply to #479042
First Team Regular
McCreery - 15/4/2017 13:43

I've read "this squad has been built to get us out of the Championship" a good few times over recent months.....

Has there been an official statement to that effect?

If so that also translates as wholesale changes in the Summer to build a squad that can compete in the Premier League

I very much doubt either are true

If you buy players like Ritchie, Diame,Gayle, Hayden, Murphy and Handley you are effectively buy Championship players to get us promoted. He's built a squad to get promoted - and he'll succeed.

Edited by vin1892 15/4/2017 18:49
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 21:14 Post ID: #479045 - in reply to #478952
First Team Regular
Oh I get that Vin....but the inference of the "this squad has been built to get us out of the Championship" statement is that it's understood that it isn't good enough for the Premier League and it will be dismantled should we go up and built from scratch

I'll show me arse if that's the way Ashley sees it

Edited by McCreery 15/4/2017 21:15
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 21:22 Post ID: #479046 - in reply to #478952
Rafa made reference to the squad earlier in the season but was careful in his wording.

Basically the jist of it was to buy players that were at a championship level now with the potential to progress. Seems a difficult one to judge when Ashley wouldn't open the handbag in January.

If we go up it'll still be similar ins and outs to last Summer. Something like 6-8 in and 8-10 out. A Net spend of under £40m is my guess.
Like post
Like this post
15 April 2017 21:31 Post ID: #479047 - in reply to #478952
Captain
After the dramatic events last night and a return of just one point from a possible six (both televised live) from our last two games I checked how we have done since the turn of the year in comparison to Brighton and Huddersfield and our points return. P 18 W9. D6 L3, points 33. Brighton P 18 W11 D2 L5 points 35, and Huddersfield P17 W11 D1 L5 points 34. With four games to go I think we have more than enough to go up automatically and had the officials not missed the 'stone wall' penalty by Ayling on Mbemeba we would still be ten points ahead of Huddersfield.
Like post
Like this post
16 April 2017 00:31 Post ID: #479048 - in reply to #478952
First Team Squad
Played well last night,canny all over the pitch,they were shit.
Mbemba & Ritchie man of the match for me.
Fatty will want his ball back when we go up like the kid in the playground,tempted to tell him to fuck off,salad dodger.
Like post
Like this post
16 April 2017 00:54 Post ID: #479049 - in reply to #478952
Just watched the footage back for the first time since the game, aside from still wondering how we didn't win, it's still amazing in this age of technology how shite a decent atmosphere comes across.

For the first time in a while me heed was ringing but the mics must be set to record on low with the players voices audible. I genuinely only heard the Leeds fans once or twice from the Gallowgate.
Like post
Like this post
17 April 2017 09:19 Post ID: #479051 - in reply to #478952
First Team Squad
The reality of it is we're the 2nd best club in the Championship this season.

I'd have accepted that before a ball was kicked.

Lots of work ahead to get us to stay there in any sort if decent position.

Brighton and whoever finishes 3rd will go straight back down - Brighton as they don't and won't have enough depth; 3rd place is miles off the pace even in this league.

We've a platform at least which the others don't.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3): 1 2
Jump to forum: