Newcastle United Forum - Alternative League Table
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Keggy Keegal on Pardew saying we 'rebooted' - yeah we rebooted then Carver pressed Ctrl, Alt, Delete brought the task manager up and we could see Colo was using too much ram , so we ended the process and erm we're unlucky not to get something
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None5%
1-312%
4 or 540%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan163
2.Toon_NoMatterWot99
3.MickMartin48
4.Mcnamee6734
5.The Pyrry28
6.billybobcat26
7.crooktownmags25
8.The Owl22
9.keggy_keagal19
10.Harry's Boy18
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Alternative League Table
09 April 2017 13:05 Post ID: #478877
With us on 84 points, this is technically what every team can finish with. It is impossible, of course, for this to happen as there are still a few games between sides in the top 7.

What is a fact though is that we cant finish any lower than 6th overall but as the games go on, we will actually climb without the need to play due to the final total figure for the other teams going down. Personally I think a win over Leeds will prove to be the promotion winning game but mathematically I still think it will be the Preston game near the end of the month before Rafa acknowledges it.

The title race is going to the wire with Brighton having some hard games coming up.

Brighton 101
Newcastle 99
Huddersfield 92
Reading 88
Leeds 87
Sheff Wed 84
Fulham 82
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
09 April 2017 13:33 Post ID: #478878 - in reply to #478877
To summarize, we are at least in the playoffs and you think promotion will be confirmed vs Leeds or Preston and that Brighton could still lose the title ?
Like post
Like this post
09 April 2017 17:15 Post ID: #478883 - in reply to #478878
keggy_keagal - 9/4/2017 13:33

To summarize, we are at least in the playoffs and you think promotion will be confirmed vs Leeds or Preston and that Brighton could still lose the title ?

Basically. The 87 points we would be on will probably be enough but it wont be mathematically possible to say it's done.

As for Brighton, for the first time really this season the pressure will be on and with away games to the likes of Wolves, Norwich and Aston Villa on the last day, there's twists and turns to come.
Like post
Like this post
09 April 2017 17:57 Post ID: #478884 - in reply to #478877
Captain
Way back, when I was a lad we were promoted as champions. It was 2 points a win and 42 games. We won 24, drew 9 and lost 9. Promotion was won on Good Friday. History won't repeat itself on that day but not far away.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 04:57 Post ID: #478888 - in reply to #478877
First Team Regular
Brighton deserve to win the title Newcastle don't, because they have been dogshit for a lot of the season. NUFC should have walked this league with the players they have but they have been shit, this could be down to the fact that benitez tactics have been utter wank.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 08:18 Post ID: #478889 - in reply to #478877
First Team Squad
Concur Brighton deserve it.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 12:05 Post ID: #478890 - in reply to #478888
Reserve Team
billybobcat - 10/4/2017 04:57

Brighton deserve to win the title Newcastle don't, because they have been dogshit for a lot of the season. NUFC should have walked this league with the players they have but they have been shit, this could be down to the fact that benitez tactics have been utter wank.

Agreed, I think Benitez has been really poor. With our squad and Chris Hughton we would have pissed it.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 12:26 Post ID: #478893 - in reply to #478877
I dont get the Rafa bashing.

Brighton haven't won the league yet and may not do although the bigger picture shows us beating them twice, us having scored more goals than any other side over the season and conceding the fewest with the best defences overall along with them.

The way we play has been a well documented 4-2-3-1 although ive seen it as a 4-1-4-1 on many occasions. This way of playing wont change and the whole squad will know this.

Brighton wont be able to play the way they do now in the premier league because they'll get tonked more times than not. The fact that they have to adapt leaves them on a disadvantage straight away and was maybe the downfall of Hughton the last time we went up as we lost to teams we shouldn't have done.

It's also been well documented that Rafa wanted at least 2 players in the last window to increase the tempo in the side. One a central midfielder and the other a winger. It's not difficult to see what a difference that would have made to the way in which we apply ourselves.

Having said all that, the job for Rafa this season was to change the mentality of the whole club whilst somehow assemble the bunch into a team that had to have all the characteristics to get out of this tough league. So far he's done a brilliant job and no-one can say he hasn't.

If he gets most of what he wants in the Summer and stays then the same system, that is better suited to the premier league, will not be getting the negativity it has bred this time round.

It's also a non-comparison with Hughton as for getting us up there because I dont think the likes of Shelvey would have stayed, I dont think the atmosphere around the club would have been lifted or anywhere near 50,000+ crowds and I dont think we would have got the likes of Ritchie.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 17:09 Post ID: #478896 - in reply to #478877
First Team Squad
Comparing Rafa and Chris is a bit like comparing Apples v Pears - both clubs have their massive differences.

We've got the bigger, but 'thrown together' squad. This means we should normally be winning the title.

However, having the bigger squad, and having things 'thrown together' and the need to gel them all in, makes for it's own problems.

For sure and the team, the club as a whole, hasn't covered itself in glory this season - but has got on with the job in hand. Promotion. That's what it's all about. We're there, about to become mathematical too.

Be sure, Brighton are likely to be back down again next season, the magical 'bubble' of their mix of team-spirit, will suffer due to their like of size of squad when it comes to quality next year - while we at least have a reasonable starting position.

If you'd said we'd be in this place right now at the start of the season, I'd have said yes.

Look at Villa and Norwich. They should be coasting it too - but they are not.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 18:00 Post ID: #478897 - in reply to #478877
Aye Cuck, using Norwich as an example. Their fans will have had a great day on Saturday seeing a 7-1 demolition job but you wont find one Norwich fan in the world who wouldn't swop their season for ours.

I tipped Norwich to win the league and us to finish 2nd but to think we are 24 points ahead at this stage is some feat with Aston Villa further behind, a massive 26 points less.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 18:08 Post ID: #478898 - in reply to #478897
First Team Squad
I too would have thought Norwich would have been competing with us - and as for Villa, I had them lower play-offs, once they'd cleared themselves up a bit. But they haven't sorted anything, and so are miles adrift.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 19:33 Post ID: #478899 - in reply to #478877
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 20:24 Post ID: #478900 - in reply to #478877
First Team Squad
About sums it up for me, with the word 'functional'.

It is; but it needs to be.

You need a platform in order to be able to build on.
Like post
Like this post
10 April 2017 20:46 Post ID: #478901 - in reply to #478877
Captain
Some very relevant points and how McClaren as a pundit on Saturday's game has the brass neck to question Rafa's tactical substitutions after his inept performance at the helm is beyond belief.
Our home game against Wigan nine days ago was the 10th highest in Europe. The nine above us include Man U, Real Madrid, Bayern, Monaco etc, all the teams you would expect. The hierarchy should not take that for granted.
As Brighton showed last season, favourites in the play-offs don't always get promoted.
Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 11:27 Post ID: #478906 - in reply to #478877
First Team Regular
They do take it for granted Mcnamee67 because fatty knows no matter what he does the home games will be sold out. regarding benitez what is so special about him that people won't even question his terrible tactics nearly every game.

I'd sooner have Houghton over him any day because Houghton has proven he can do a job where as benitez has been found out when he doesn't have a world class squad. As a bloke you can't fault him but I'm disappointed in him as a manager and especially his tactics.

Yes he no doubt will gain promotion but my god the football has been dire to watch.

Edited by billybobcat 11/4/2017 11:32
Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 11:35 Post ID: #478908 - in reply to #478906
First Team Squad
I let him get away with a few bad decisions, as he's not playing with a full deck of cards yet.

To have us going up automatically, is still an achievement albeit expected.

Villa and Norwich are examples of how badly wrong it could have been otherwise.
Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 14:17 Post ID: #478911 - in reply to #478877
Reserve Team
Can't believe so many people have been taken in by Benitez and his employers. My old granny could have got this squad promoted man.
Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 15:00 Post ID: #478912 - in reply to #478877
First Team Squad
But it wasn't 'this squad', before Benitez got in a 20+ goals striker though. Plus a centre-back who can actually defend.

There is much work to do, of course. But it's HUGE progress. Again, without him, we'd be another Villa or Norwich. Or worse.
Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 15:06 Post ID: #478913 - in reply to #478911
crooktownmags - 11/4/2017 14:17

Can't believe so many people have been taken in by Benitez and his employers. My old granny could have got this squad promoted man.

Really?

A club rotten from top to bottom with very little going for it apart from a World proven boss coming in and changing things.

A club that could hardly score a goal away from home, never mind go on record winning runs or completely control a game just under a year earlier. That's before you mention the soul had been ripped out and the atmosphere shot to bits.

A club that has contained the likes of Colback, Gouffran, Dummett, Sammy Ameobi and the disappointing Mo Diame but still we lie in a great position.

The likes of Norwich and Aston Villa have had just as 'easy' a task as us to go up and they're a minimum of 24 points behind with net spends of varying levels. Norwich making a slight profit this season of £4m for their placing and Villa spending £80m for a £60m Net spend to be where they are.

Rafa's way of playing may not have been easy on the eye this season but if it was a guaranteed style to get the points then everyone would do it as that is the top and bottom of it all although TV doesn't do things justice from time to time with the off screen movement that some players do.

We go up and it's obvious which positions will improve us. We can all see it and the same tactics next year will seem so different but to say we were already up before a ball was kicked in reality just takes away all the hard work as this division is no gimmee.
Like post
Like this post
11 April 2017 20:18 Post ID: #478915 - in reply to #478877
I think Benitez has done a magnificent job. He's acted with class and dignity throughout the campaign and with a key understanding of the support. You can criticize his football as not the most entertaining and argue that he's defensively minded but name me one person who could do better than what he's been able to do this season. Hughton ? Under Ashley and with this set of players ? No chance. Our squad is crap and is showing the legacy of Ashley's transfer policy. Hughton did a good job in his time as a manager here but he had a far better squad.

Look at this squad vs our current mob:

GKs: Krul, Forster, Harper, Soderberg.

Then defenders available were: Enrique, Williamson , Simpson, Raylor, Saylor, Colo, Hall, Khizanishvili, Van Aanholt and Kadar.

In Midfield it was Guthrie , Barton, Smith, Butt, Routledge, Jonas, Pancrate and Nolan.

Forwards were Strolla , Carroll, Ranger, Best Harewood and Lovenkrands.

Now look at our current squad:

Gks: Darlow , Elliot and Selz

Defenders: Lascelles , Clark, Dummett, Hanley, Mbemba, Haidara, Lazaar, Yedlin , Gamez.

Midfield: Colback, Anita, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden , Diame, Atsu, Aarons, Gouffran , Sameobi.

Forwards: Gayle, Perez, Mitrovic, Murphy

Analyzing the squads Hughton clearly had three better keepers (two of which would become full internationals).

In defence I'd only really pick out Clark and Yedlin out of Rafa's defenders, Hughton had a far better left back in Enrique and an experienced international centre half in Colo. At the moment in this league I'd say probably Lascelles and Williamson are about equal and with Hughton having some better options in Simpson (effective enough to win a league title winners medal ....I know) and Raylor (better than Anita at right back , better than Dummett at left back). Grant Hanley and Steven Taylor look like they share a dietitian.

Midfield, the standouts are Shelvey and Ritchie from Benitez's team with Hayden a fair shout to get into that Hughton midfield ahead of a Smith or a Guthrie for example. The rest of the current midfield, how Jack Colback could ever call himself a professional footballer I'll never know, wouldn't get a look in, being kind ,maybe Atsu or (if ever fit and not out clubbing with his Aunty) Aarons . Under Hughton and behind Carroll, Nolan was at times unplayable.

Strikers, the two line leaders are without question a then injury free, hungry for goals not lager, chinese bait and essex girls Andy Carroll and a current preferably unhamstrung Gayle. I'd honestly say old Strolla looked more clinical than Mitro. Murphy's shown enough this year to prove he would be a good experienced backup for any side and Lovenkrands went on to do well for us in the Premier League when needed. Any man that lets Leon Best near a pair of football boots deserves questions about his sanity let alone his judgement. The rest of Rafa's forwards I wouldn't give you 50 pence for. Perez isn't a left sided player , isn't a striker, isn't a number ten what the fuck is he exactly?

Edited by keggy_keagal 11/4/2017 20:22
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: