Newcastle United Forum - The Rafa Benitez Thread
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Sir Bobby - "People want success. It's like coffee, they want instant."
- (Added by: Toon_NoMatterWot)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How Many Players Do NUFC Need To Survive Next Season?
Suggested By: Talk of the Tyne
None5%
1-312%
4 or 540%
6 or 730%
More than 713%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.CuckFan170
2.Toon_NoMatterWot101
3.MickMartin51
4.Mcnamee6735
5.The Pyrry29
6.billybobcat27
7.crooktownmags25
8.The Owl22
9.keggy_keagal19
10.Harry's Boy18
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (18): « First 1 2 3
5 6 7 ... Last »
The Rafa Benitez Thread
10 March 2016 17:15 Post ID: #468414 - in reply to #468072
First Team Squad
Word round the campfire is ian cathro & quasimodo to take charge of the Leicester game.
Meanwhile fatty has been summoned to appear before parliament.Things are looking up.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
10 March 2016 17:36 Post ID: #468415 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
Can you imagine trying to negotiate with Charnley and co. It can take days with those idiots before eventually breaking down. Benitez and his advisors if they're even there will be going:

What, seriously? What? You're joking, what? You're kidding? What? This is a football club? What? Fucking hell.

Goodbye.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 17:43 Post ID: #468416 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
Seems a total farce with the usual indecision that envelops Charnley and co. Should have been in place way before Leicester match, instead no doubt we will suffer another thrashing.
In fact I will be very surprised if Benitez arrives after all this.
Has McClaren been sacked or not?
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 18:01 Post ID: #468417 - in reply to #468072
If there is any degree of seriousness to the Rafa Benitez stories then it clearly means Ashley's still in this for the long haul . It's a disaster for anyone who's Anti Ashley . Benitez is one of the best managers currently in the game . Tactically he's a genius and he's exceptional at making average players good and good players great . Where he perhaps fails is in both the way he communicates with players and his impatience with them. He's also guilty of overthinking at times, when his replacement at Valencia (Claudio Ranieri) asked the defenders about the preferred defensive strategy for a particular opponent they replied with which one ?

Why I find the Benitez story particularly surprising (though Gulliem Balage is as close a source to Benitez as humanly possible having written several books with him) is that Rafa famously doesn't protect owners. He certainly won't act as an apologist or an excuse maker . He fell out with the DOF at Valencia and then threw him under the bus when he failed to get the players Benitez wanted saying "I was hoping for a sofa [a defender] and they've brought me a lamp [Fabián Canobbio]". Likewise when the ownership at Liverpool were being difficult over transfers and Benitez publicly questioned them he was told to focus on training and coaching his players . The next press conference Benitez famously responded as follows (courtesy of The
Liverpool Echo ):

"PRESS: Do you know how much you will have to spend from the American owners in January?

RB: As always I am focused on training and coaching my team.

Have you had any assurances you’ll have what you want?

What about your long-term plan?

RB: My plan is training and coaching the team.

Is there anything upsetting you?

Do you have anything to say?

It’s clear something is up...

RB: You have my answer.

You’re very different from normal...

RB: You have my answer.

It’s clear that something is up, though. How can you focus on your training and coaching?

RB: I was preparing the training session before this Press conference. So I am always focused on training and coaching.

It’s not always possible, though...

RB: Yes, it is for me.

You said after the story linking you with Bayern Munich you were happy to stay here for a long time. Is that still the case?

We’re not going to tease it out of you, are we? You’re not normally late for a Press conference. You were obviously preoccupied by something...

RB: Because as always I was focusing on the training session.

Is there anything you would like to say?

You always say you are focused on training and coaching, but you usually give answers to our enquiries, so how come it’s changed suddenly?

RB: Nothing. I’m just focused on training and coaching as always.

You did kind of suggest to the TV people that you were open to possibility of the England job. Is that something we should treat seriously?

RB: It’s your decision. You never know what will happen in the future.

Were you serious when you answered it?

RB: I was serious.

It would be dereliction of our duty not to point out that one day you say you are looking to stay here a long time, then the next day you are saying who knows about England for the future. Isn’t there a contradiction between the two?

RB: The future is the future. Now, as always I am focused on training and coaching my team, so I cannot say anything else. Just to keep preparing for the next game.

You’ve always said you wanted to stay here for years and years and talked about the future here?

RB: That is true.

So, what you’re saying suggests that perhaps the future here is in question?

RB: I am focused on training and coaching my team.

So who knows?

Are you being allowed to do that as you wish?

RB: I am focused on training and coaching my team.

Does everyone associated with the club share that opinion?

RB: As always I am focused on training and coaching my team."

I suspect the next 48 hrs will tell us much about how serious both parties are . If Newcastle United appoint Benitez they will have to have a complete sea change in the current policy but it may well be the appointment to bring stability and just maybe the trophy that legitimizes Ashley's reign. If they don't it's business as usual. It's up to you Mike Ashley .

Edited by keggy_keagal 10/3/2016 19:18
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 18:16 Post ID: #468418 - in reply to #468072
Captain
What a thoughtful post Keggy, why can we not have someone of your intellect in Charnley's role? The whole strategy over the tenure of Ashley will have to change. Somehow I think this will all end in tears
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 18:31 Post ID: #468419 - in reply to #468418
Mcnamee67 - 10/3/2016 18:16

What a thoughtful post Keggy, why can we not have someone of your intellect in Charnley's role? The whole strategy over the tenure of Ashley will have to change. Somehow I think this will all end in tears

We're expecting this to end badly so we've nowt to lose really.

Ashley started with a proper managerial appointment, probably the only one so far in Keegan and he may end up with another in Benitez. If it does indeed happen then it would be difficult to keep turning full circle with the changing of policy.

What's interesting about it is the mention of a 3 year deal which means relegation would have been discussed, which may also have included a transfer spend, the retaining of the better players and various permutations of staying up to compete.

There's not a chance in hell that Benitez would be coming for 17th and above as his long term project.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 18:55 Post ID: #468420 - in reply to #468418

Cheers Mcnamee I dunno about intellect though I just love me football.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 19:03 Post ID: #468421 - in reply to #468419
Toon_NoMatterWot - 10/3/2016 18:31

We're expecting this to end badly so we've nowt to lose really.

Ashley started with a proper managerial appointment, probably the only one so far in Keegan and he may end up with another in Benitez. If it does indeed happen then it would be difficult to keep turning full circle with the changing of policy.

What's interesting about it is the mention of a 3 year deal which means relegation would have been discussed, which may also have included a transfer spend, the retaining of the better players and various permutations of staying up to compete.

There's not a chance in hell that Benitez would be coming for 17th and above as his long term project.

Here's a statement, I'd rather have Benitez than Mourhino. Rafa and his family love England and still have a family home in Caldy on the Wirral (worth about £4 million quid overlooking the River Dee) and his wife Monse is very active in the local community. If they come up here and embrace the North East like they have the North West it'll be good for the area (what is it with the constant Newcastle and Liverpool links and similarities as both clubs and cities...a post for another time I reckon?). Benitez put things in place regarding Liverpool's youth system that they're still benefiting from today (ie the recruitment of Sterling and his huge sale).

If he comes here and it works It'll be really bittersweet as I genuinely like Benitez as a bloke and his philosophy on the game but despise Ashley and everything he's ever done to my club with an absolute passion .

Edited by keggy_keagal 10/3/2016 19:13
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 20:15 Post ID: #468422 - in reply to #468072
Captain
I think the moment has been lost. Sheer incompetence and dithering will make the negotiating advisors recommend Rafa to say thanks but no thanks. The last 8 years can't be wiped out at a stroke for supporters and a change of heart because impending relegation will cut no ice with the more vociferous among us. You can see it unfolding. A broken club and the laughing stock of the football world.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 20:52 Post ID: #468423 - in reply to #468422
Mcnamee67 - 10/3/2016 20:15

I think the moment has been lost. Sheer incompetence and dithering will make the negotiating advisors recommend Rafa to say thanks but no thanks. The last 8 years can't be wiped out at a stroke for supporters and a change of heart because impending relegation will cut no ice with the more vociferous among us. You can see it unfolding. A broken club and the laughing stock of the football world.

Apparently it's Benitez and the fact Ashley is out of the country that is holding things up.

According to that Spanish 'AS' site, they reckon the only sticking point is that Benitez wants significant funds to makes us a top team in the future.

Elsewhere there's talk that there's a meeting on Tyneside tomorrow.

The difference in this and any other time before is that they know the price of failure. We just expect it.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 20:56 Post ID: #468424 - in reply to #468072
Benitez to join is now 1/10 and McClaren to leave is suspended. Still looks like it's on at the bookies.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 21:46 Post ID: #468425 - in reply to #468072
Captain
If it's agreed that Benitez wants a major, if not a total say on transfers then Carr is out on his neck. But wait, isn't Carr on the board along with McClaren. Don't they have a say or call a board meeting ? And as for Charnley, negotiating skills are limited to 'one lump or two' . If the owner is out of the country he can pick the fucking phone up if he is that bothered, or better still conduct the negotiations himself and then we will be aware of his intent.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 22:01 Post ID: #468426 - in reply to #468425
Mcnamee67 - 10/3/2016 21:46

If it's agreed that Benitez wants a major, if not a total say on transfers then Carr is out on his neck. But wait, isn't Carr on the board along with McClaren. Don't they have a say or call a board meeting ? And as for Charnley, negotiating skills are limited to 'one lump or two' . If the owner is out of the country he can pick the fucking phone up if he is that bothered, or better still conduct the negotiations himself and then we will be aware of his intent.

When the legal sort are involved, you know they drag it out and will be squeezing their share here.

With loads to sort and time to think about certain clauses, it would never take 5 minutes to sort and for all we know, this could have been in the pipeline for months.

If Carr is so highly thought of then there's no real change to his job. He can scout wherever Benitez wants scouting and then give his opinion on his findings. In his decades of experience, it'll be something that he's more used to. His wage needn't drop either.

Im sure Cathro worked with Rafa at Valencia so will probably be kept on and if anything id only expect McClaren and Simpson to be out for now.

The negotiating is being done by Bishop which may be a sign of future things to come.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 22:30 Post ID: #468427 - in reply to #468426
Just a few things. Rafa was at Valencia in 2001 to 2004 . Ian Cathro was at school . As the club is privately owned the board is essentially whatever Mike Ashley says it is. As for Carr the best case scenario for him is to see out the remainder of his contract as a traditional Scout . Though I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see him retire. Benitez will absolutely not work with him as De facto Director Of Football.

Benitez likes to oversee every aspect of coaching training and scouting of players . Very revealing was this piece from tribalfootball.com from Rafa's former assistant at Liverpool Paco Herrera :

Herrera said: "Rafa lives football 24 hours a day, that's the first detail.

"He has faith in his coaching staff and we had a great team of people. In the first two years we played five finals and we won three. It was an excellent group of people. We met every morning to prepare the work of the week and the work of the day.

"We studied the rivals we were going to face. Benitez does not leave any room for improvisation and he himself supervises everything. It's true he has a database with information on more than 10,000 players.

"Everything started when we arrived there. I signed on as assistant manager but three months later my role changed because we all realised that there were serious problems in the technical department.

"Liverpool was very antiquated in that sense. So Rafa asked me to change my role and occupy myself with this issue. He wanted me to become the chief scout and start organising, along with himself, the technical department.

"It was when we started to sign up all the scouts - and from what I remember all the ones who started then are still there.

"All of them, or almost all of them, have had a direct professional relationship with Rafa - like Laurent Viaud, who was a player at Extremadura when Rafa was boss and is now a French scout.

"We started incorporating people from one country or another. As time went by Rafa proposed to create a personal database, apart from the one at the club which is also very interesting.

"So he created a personal one and that's where every day all the scouts from every country are putting information on all the players they are watching. I would say it would be closer to 14,000 players than 10,000."

As I say I just can't see Benitez accepting Carr as anything other than a scout who filters reports to his and the club's database .

To close for now I'd like to point people to something I think which is of real interest, this piece from 2013 from Benitez's own website (www.rafabenitez.com) :

A Football Club's Structure ? Rafa Benitez's view

I have always maintained that those of us who work in football are privileged. And that’s because we get paid for a job we love and are passionate about. And in my case, I have been lucky enough to have worked in different countries, to have observed different cultures and ways of working, to have benefited from those experiences and this gives me, I believe, some idea of being able to analyse things from a different perspective, from the outside.

When certain people talk about signings, and how to go about them, the market value of players, the reasons why you buy or sell a player, you can see that some of them don’t really know the true situation which can be very confusing for the fans. So in this article I will try to explain my point of view based on my experience.

Obviously I will try to focus on my area of responsibility in the club. That is the football, the playing direction given by the manager or the coach as the case may be.

Club Structure

What you first need to establish when you go to a new club are the aims of the club and the resources available to achieve them. So it is essential to analyse in depth the club organisation, its management structure and their different functions especially if you are in a foreign country.
The rules, the fixture list, the squad, the staff at the club and their roles, the situation regarding players contracts, the environment, the culture, the club tradition… knowledge of all these are essential to being able to take the right decisions. At least for those who are depending on you.

In Spain or Italy there is usually a ‘Director of Football’ or ‘Chief Scout’ who in theory is responsible for signing the Coach and putting the squad together. In the majority of cases, though not all, they usually consult the man in charge at the time, but in many other cases the President or owner, who is in charge of everything, has the last say.

(The 2 diagrams are only examples as there are many different structures).

In England though, it is the Manager who, also in theory, is responsible for the football, and therefore has the authority to decide how to put the squad together.

In practice, both types of structure depend on one premise: the money available for transfers and salaries. The ‘Manager’ on the one hand, or the Coach on the other, will have to consider the inescapable fact that they can sign only the three or four players on their list. That’s how it is. At least in the case of the ‘Manager’ he can choose the ones he wants.

Make-up of the Squad

As the man in charge of the technical side, you have to decide on the model of play, how you want the team to express itself on the pitch, or at least how you would like them to play. It is important to get to know your players, to talk to them so they can give you information on the composition of the squad and then you have to try to complement it with players who can enhance it and put in to practice what you want to do on the pitch. If you can’t do this, you will have to adapt and trust that they will give you support when you need it.

Then you have the rules governing contracts in each country, and they are also different for teams competing in International competitions. There are leagues where it is compulsory to play at least 5 players from that country, others where there is a limit on foreign signings, and others where there is an ‘A’ and ‘B’ list of players…In the end, each country, each league, has its own peculiarities and you have to know them thoroughly and above all digest them quickly before you put the squad together and / or tweak it.

This is where the plan, the football project, comes in to play, and with owners from the world of business coming in to football, you can only call it a Business Plan. Again I will refer to my own experience. When I went to Italy there was no ‘business plan’. I was only told about it on the last day of the transfer window, when they suddenly and surprisingly said that we were going to follow the ‘Financial Fair Play’ initiative. I will leave it there. In Spain, the continuous dialogue with club officials keeps you up to date on the economic constraints so you know where you are. Although once, I found myself with a surprise signing of a striker by the President on the last day in August because, as he was on loan, he was cheap.

In England, specifically at Liverpool during my first 3 seasons, the Chairman and the Chief Executive kept me informed of the restrictions and options that we had. Later on though, the club structure changed, and over time, ‘business plans’ became more and more important than any football project when it came to making decisions.

Something that should not be forgotten is the analysis of the Academy. Incorporating local players always gives more affinity with the club and sensibly reduces costs. In Italy and Spain the organisation depends on the ‘sporting director’ and the Coach has little input in to it. Nevertheless, in England it can be the case, as happened at Liverpool in my last year, that the Manager has control over the youth system and can follow a style of play in all age groups and with more continuity. Barcelona’s model is popular right now. There is no better or more evident example.

If there are no players at youth level in the club who have the requisite ability, you have to resort to the transfer market.

The ‘sporting director’ or the Manager has to manage a transfer Budget, and on top of that, take players’ wages in to account. A good scouting system is necessary and essential, although not infallible, and the money available in both cases will affect the market you can access. The income from selling and net spend are more important for the Manager than the Coach. The former tries to consider the future of the club and win at the same time. The latter, the way football is going, only tries to win and cost has less importance.

Rules and specific types of organisation

What also has to be considered are different International regulations. Usually the required list of available players is restricted to 25 for the first team and in some countries, like Spain, you can use youth players for up to 5 matches, after which the player has to be included in the first team squad.
In England, you can use the Reserves, which we used to try to develop youngsters by gaining experience so they could move up to the first team. Then you have the U18s. Some of these players, especially if they are coming from abroad, must have professional contracts or you run the risk of losing them to other clubs. This was what people often talked about when I was at Liverpool, either through ignorance or ‘bad faith’, that we signed a lot of players when in actual fact many of them were for the younger age groups and some of them I did not know. In Spain, these signings who join the second team or the youth teams are not considered signings for the first team. And it is the same in Italy.

Champions League Rules and Regulations

Another set of rules that, unfortunately, we always had to take in to account was the local players and home country players for Champions League list. This number has now reached 4 players brought through the club Academy and 4 players of the home country. If you have spent 3 years at the club before you reach 21, you are considered local.
Again there are differences. As Coach, if you can, you plan for your team and the sporting director plans for the squad. But as a Manager you have to plan for the future of the club. At Liverpool one of our priorities was to bring players from abroad and sign them 3 years before they reached 21, like Ayala, Pacheco or Insua. In that way, under the rules at the time, they would be considered local players, saving money in transfers and contracts, with the possibility of including them on the Champions League list. In Spain and Europe in general, as a coach, you are only involved in future planning if you keep winning and you are allowed to stay a few years. Few manage to do it.
As always, these are opinions emanating from my experience and they look to provide football fans and people who follow our website with views from a different perspective, another point of view which maybe they have not been aware of. Finally, a thought that keeps occurring to me is that although you hear something repeatedly, it is not necessarily the truth.

Edited by keggy_keagal 10/3/2016 22:31
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 22:36 Post ID: #468430 - in reply to #468072
Nee wonder it's taking so long if your excellent post is anything to go by Keggy as Ashley will be looking for some sort of loophole.
Like post
Like this post
10 March 2016 23:52 Post ID: #468434 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
1/5 his odds are, either fatty is putting a large wedge on Pearson becoming the next manager just to sicken the fans or the bookies know something is happening with Benitez. As much as id love him to come here i cant see anyone getting the club out the shit its in with the playing staff they have. Plus the only way of getting rid of Ashley is for relegation and a few years in the championship.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 07:29 Post ID: #468436 - in reply to #468072
There will be no-one more aghast than me if RB takes up this post. Given what we (think) we know about his MO I'd be truly astounded if he even contemplates taking up the position. Has Charmless FINALLY realised that he's far better at looking at spreadsheets (important mind) than he is running a football club? I do wonder how many times your business model has to crash before the, supposedly, clever folk say "this aint working".
If I were a gambling chap (I aint) I'd have put a few quid on Pearson.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 07:33 Post ID: #468437 - in reply to #468072
Tell you what does make me chortle mind, it's that picture of him on Sky Football News where he's looking over his right shoulder smiling. Makes me think of a proud uncle at a wedding, don't know why I probably need to get out more or get a hobby.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 08:13 Post ID: #468438 - in reply to #468072
It's a perfect day out there for an overhaul as the mist has lifted to a sunny, almost cloudless sky.

We're used to black clouds coming along under Ashley, just can't see any at present and it could be a decent day for once.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 08:18 Post ID: #468439 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
I think the reason Charnley hasn't sacked Mclaren is that he doesn't know what's going on himself. The fact that they are talking to Rafa and looking to rip up the clubs blueprint means Ashley is overseeing this appointment through the `new kid on the block' Keith Bishop. If this comes off and I'm still very dubious it will spell the end for Carr, Charnley and Concur. Simpson, Black, Beardsley and Watson will also go the journey.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 08:35 Post ID: #468440 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
Now there is a starting point Vin to get rid of the scrap and baggage around the club.

Interesting times ahead...
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 09:40 Post ID: #468441 - in reply to #468072
Something's gonna go wrong though. It's the signature of this regime.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 10:10 Post ID: #468442 - in reply to #468441
First Team Regular
Toon_NoMatterWot - 11/3/2016 09:40

It's called Mike Ashley, he's bothering to get involved today to tell Charnley to install Beardsley and tell Benitez to fuck off.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 10:20 Post ID: #468443 - in reply to #468442
Paul Kannell - 11/3/2016 10:10

Toon_NoMatterWot - 11/3/2016 09:40

It's called Mike Ashley, he's bothering to get involved today to tell Charnley to install Beardsley and tell Benitez to fuck off.

If that was the case then Im sure he would have just got Kinnear in. He would have just called him Richie Benaud and made him go off in a strop.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 10:39 Post ID: #468444 - in reply to #468072
Craig Hope of The Mail says Benitez is on his way to Newcastle to finalise a deal.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 10:44 Post ID: #468445 - in reply to #468444
First Team Regular
Toon_NoMatterWot - 11/3/2016 10:39

Craig Hope of The Mail says Benitez is on his way to Newcastle to finalise a deal.

And that's where the problems start, finalising a deal with Mike Ashley, you lie down with the devil, you wake up in hell.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:14 Post ID: #468447 - in reply to #468072
Reserve Team Bench
All the press are yapping away on slight variants of the same story. It's interesting that the BBC have links to all the press speculation under their football gossip column. There's only one link, The Chronic, in their Sportsday News section, and the only news is that the paper is urging the club to get on with it. We're really in the same position as we were Monday.

Take your pick, bearing in mind the only one whose decision counts is Ashley...

McClaren remains

McClaren is sacked - Beardsley & Cathro take over

McClaren is sacked and Benitez takes over

McClaren is sacked and someone else takes over.

It is still that vague. Stupid bloody man.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:18 Post ID: #468449 - in reply to #468072
Benitez is up here now. Couldn't have picked a better day for it.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:22 Post ID: #468452 - in reply to #468072
Reserve Team Bench
5 minutes with Ashley should send him packing...
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:24 Post ID: #468453 - in reply to #468452
Harry's Boy - 11/3/2016 11:22

5 minutes with Ashley should send him packing...

Apparently talks concluded yesterday and he's only here to sign the contract.

Benitez is supposed to be starting Tuesday with Beardsley and Cathro doing the preparation for Monday.

We'll get some sort of clarification later you'd think.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:29 Post ID: #468456 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
Top posts Keggy, I have a bit to do with business / organisational structures and plans in my current job so I can relate a bit to that article, I suppose it is / was inevitable that football clubs would go the same way especially considering that so many clubs are owned by business people and its all about protecting your investment with some kind of system / framework in which the club can operate.

Regarding Rafa, I am not going to go as far to say as I am sucked in by the whole thing and as we know with Ashley's Newcastle, anything could happen so I will believe it all when I see it but the prospect of having a manager like Benitez at the club is exciting, especially in a time of the club where there is little to be excited or optimistic about, the one thing that I would take from this is that a guy like Benitez has an excellent standing in the game and wouldnt have an issue in finding work at any number of clubs across Europe (and the world), therefore I feel that if he did agree to come it would be primarily on his terms, he isn't a Kinnear or a Pardew who will take the job regardless of the restrictions and conditions placed upon them, if he didn't get his way you would have to think that he would tell them to fuck off and walk away.

As per the article that Keggy posted, Benitez has a system and a trusted team around him who do things the way they feel best, much of what is posted in that article flies in the face of everything we know about Newcastle in its current set up, so I cant help but feel that if actually happens, it wont be for Benitez to scrap everything he has done in the past and fall into line behind Charnley and Carr.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:31 Post ID: #468458 - in reply to #468456
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:36 Post ID: #468459 - in reply to #468072
What has to be paramount to any Rafa deal is that if we're relegated, he has to be allowed to stay and have a decent chance of getting promotion.

Some players need kept with the likes of Sissoko, Cisse and De Jong sold on to bolster the transfer kitty and get the central defender and striker we need. minimum.

Also interesting if Benitez gets full control, can he do any deal for unattached players this season?
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 11:56 Post ID: #468461 - in reply to #468072
First Team Squad
Good choice if it comes about.He has all the attributes.
Given that tufty got the gig in the first place & the sacking should've happened 10 games ago,it might be too late to keep s.d.u. in the top flight.
Good news tho if the fat piece of shit has changed his spots,what irks me is the thought of all the wonga clad ones creaming themsels.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 12:00 Post ID: #468462 - in reply to #468072
Star Player
Yep the club stoops even lower in it's treatment of employees and no doubt the Wonga brigade will be as we speak ripping their shoes off to wave at Benitez. We really have become a sad pox ridden excuse of a football club and the sheep will buy the shite spewed out by Ashleys lackeys for the 50th time. Ashley is a cunt and until he goes nothing will change. I am shocked that Benitez would even speak to the muppets in charge and I have no doubt it will end in tears.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 12:26 Post ID: #468464 - in reply to #468072
I've heard that Manuel Garcia Quilon's (Rafa's agent) is insisting on a clause that renders the contract null and void if we're relegated. Benitez is happy to come if full control is given (and about 3 million a year) but there are essentially two parts to the contract . The next 9/10 games if we stay up and then the 3 years kicks in . There's also been some talk that it will just be an interim appointment for the 9/10 games as there is too much to agree in the short term regarding the 3 year deal. Opening up the possibility of Benitez keeping us up then it's back to business as usual with Ashley's Punch and Judy show.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 12:40 Post ID: #468467 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
That's the only way I could see Benitez coming here, lots of money for 10 games, then if we stay up and the money is safe then the devil goes back to gambling again next season with some other journeyman twat having refused to give Benitez too much control.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 12:41 Post ID: #468468 - in reply to #468464
keggy_keagal - 11/3/2016 12:26

I've heard that Manuel Garcia Quilon's (Rafa's agent) is insisting on a clause that renders the contract null and void if we're relegated. Benitez is happy to come if full control is given (and about 3 million a year) but there are essentially two parts to the contract . The next 9/10 games if we stay up and then the 3 years kicks in . There's also been some talk that it will just be an interim appointment for the 9/10 games as there is too much to agree in the short term regarding the 3 year deal. Opening up the possibility of Benitez keeping us up then it's back to business as usual with Ashley's Punch and Judy show.

Win win for everyone then, although I just can't see how the club can continue with the now proven failed business model.

Aside from that, there's talk that the players have been called into the training ground this afternoon to meet Benitez.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 12:42 Post ID: #468469 - in reply to #468072
First Team Regular
I hope benitez makes them choke in his negociations, total control over all players/coaches and more importantly scouting, the whole place needs fumigating top to bottom and if benitez is too have the fans he needs to stand up for himself and not be used as a patsy.
Like post
Like this post
11 March 2016 12:48 Post ID: #468470 - in reply to #468072
Manager
Called to the training ground in the afternoon?! They should fucking we'll be there all day until they get things right. I seem to remember seeing Pardew fuck off around 11am too after a hard day's graft.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (18): « First 1 2 3
5 6 7 ... Last »
Jump to forum: