Newcastle United Forum - NUFC v Arsenal Match Thread
Vital Football

Latest Newcastle United News

Welcome to the Newcastle United Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Sir Bobby - “Their football was exceptionally good - and they played some good football.”
- (Added by: ken_nufc)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Man U MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Dubravka51%
Yedlin1%
Lascelles4%
Lejeune4%
Dummett1%
Ritchie3%
Shelvey31%
Diame3%
Kenedy0%
Perez0%
Gayle0%
Sub - Joselu2%
Sub - Atsu0%
Sub - Hayden0%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.crooktownmags50
2.Toon_NoMatterWot47
3.Mcnamee6728
4.Rexn26
5.keggy_keagal25
6.PieMag24
7.Harry's Boy22
8.Bruce6818
9.markylad7417
10.officemonkey15
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
NUFC v Arsenal Match Thread
30 August 2015 08:07 Post ID: #462610 - in reply to #462537
First Team Regular
Up against it with 10 men but surely we could have had more efforts on goal instead of damage limitation. Never looked like scoring before or after the ending off. No more players in we are in for a relegation battle.
Next 3 games same strikers as last year minus rivière. Colback and Anita too lightweight and defence little cover. Once injuries and suspensions kick in we are in real trouble. Better organised under McClaren but is that enough?
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
30 August 2015 08:48 Post ID: #462612 - in reply to #462537
Manager
You tell us, Owl. You're his biggest supporter on here.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 10:49 Post ID: #462614 - in reply to #462610
First Team Regular
The Owl - 30/8/2015 08:07

Better organised under McClaren but is that enough?

That's like saying Palace have a great manager.

We are only 4 games into the season,how is it possible to make these judgements ?

SDU were lucky to have a player sent off yesterday.
With 11 men, they were been torn apart by Arsenal and looked extremely disorganised as well as mesmerised by their passing game.

Once whatever his name was gone, Mclaren was forced into even more defensive tactics, which suited his team better as he seemed to have no other plan outside of counterattack.

Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 10:56 Post ID: #462615 - in reply to #462537
First Team Regular
It's the same old shit with different puppets.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 11:07 Post ID: #462616 - in reply to #462614
PieMag - 30/8/2015 10:49

We are only 4 games into the season,how is it possible to make these judgements ?

With 11 men, they were been torn apart by Arsenal and looked extremely disorganised as well as mesmerised by their passing game.

Once whatever his name was gone, Mclaren was forced into even more defensive tactics, which suited his team better as he seemed to have no other plan outside of counterattack.

Hang on Piey. You make some canny points on this thread but your asking how it's possible to judge after 4 games then judging what might have happened in the remaining 74 minutes based on the 15 minutes or so prior to Mitrovic being sent off .

Edited by keggy_keagal 30/8/2015 11:07
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 11:40 Post ID: #462617 - in reply to #462616
First Team Regular
keggy_keagal - 30/8/2015 11:07

Hang on Piey. You make some canny points on this thread but your asking how it's possible to judge after 4 games then judging what might have happened in the remaining 74 minutes based on the 15 minutes or so prior to Mitrovic being sent off .

What I am/was trying to say keggy is that Mclaren set the team up defensively and Arsenal were tearing them apart.

Based on his past, as well as the players at his disposal, I personally doubted he had the ability to change things enough to stop the onslaught and was therefore saved in a sense from having to choose any other tactic aside from the one he was forced into as a result of the dismissal.

We all make judgements of course, but the assertion after only 4 games that sdu are better organised under McClaren is far fetched.

We haven't seen how he deals with a defense containing Williamson for a start.

Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 12:10 Post ID: #462620 - in reply to #462537
A lot of judgement calls are being clouded by a dislike of the Mike Ashley tenure I feel. It's as if some find it hard to want to praise their team but find it easier to look for the negatives because of the need to continue the protest mindset.

The only problem here is that the minute Ashley sells up or relinqueshes control, the 'love' wont come back because of what went on before as the majority of recent 'actions' is everything against what you believe in as a supporter. The game has also changed and with it the invention and growing of social media that has created, deleted and forgotten more made up opinions or 'gospel' than these forums ever could.

All that said and as the dust is settling on yesterday's game, I'll make my assessment.

First off, the team is set up with a better shape than the majority of games since Hughton was here with the option to adapt and an obvious game plan in force, like the full backs pushing up into a central defending position when on attack. Obviously when a team like Arsenal plays with wingers or gets an advantage of being allowed 12 men on the pitch, this makes it more difficult, even moreso when one of them takes one of your players out and you're left a man or more short.

As was the case with Mitrovic.

For then to restrict a team in the Champions League with umpteen tens of millions of pounds to spend extera than us per season to pot shots and biased wasted set pieces that were leniently given or then ultimately to see you lose to a deflected shot, it does lead to a thought of being proud of the spirit that is there.

Forget the stats of 0 shots to us and the high 20's to them, this was a moral victory for us yesterday and I reckon that more positives will have been learned from it than any flukely draw or a scraped win with 11 v 11.

The other positives apart from the players all fighting for each other and a defensive unit that seems to be growing by the game is that it is better for these controversies to happen against the top teams, as corrupt as that is for reasons like the premier league wanting a global fanbase to stay stagnant rather than different teams being up there every season but it was a game where a defeat was more than likely and no disgrace that a Watford, Bournemouth or Norwich may have done.

That would have been damaging to the club and it was evident at the end when McClaren went on the pitch to applaud the crowd that bonds are forming.

As for the Mitrovic non red card, the punishment didn't fit the crime because there was no certainty from any official. The only person who knew for certain that there was intent was Mitrovic and if he intended to stamp down on the ball then the fact that he missed it made it look worse with the player play acting to prove that point as he got up and sprinted some seconds later.

Basically what the FA are saying is that a mistimed tackle that could but not very likely to have damaged a player is worthy of a red and that a knee high, side on karate kicked assault, studs up into the knee area as was the case with that Wigan player, Callum McManaman on Haidara is ok, even after the furore that caused and with respective TV angles to view after? If I remember rightly there, it was Carver, Woodman or someone on our side that got the worst punishment apart from Haidara being very lucky not to be in the knackers yard.

I cant remember any careers being ended by a stamp, even deliberate ones but again, if this was a Rooney, Scholes, Roy Keane, Steven Gerrard, Fabregas, Yaya Toure, Jack Wilshere or any of the Sky 4, 6 or whichever teams are at the top doing the tackle, we know what the verdict would have been and even then, the 'experts' that create a lot of the propaganda aired on media, would have been laughing in the studio about it.

The lack of any fight or struggle on the pitch after the incident, showed what the players thought about any intent.

It does create a problem and if there is any truth in Papiss Cisse being available to go for £5 million then someone has to drop their act and use it to add to the difference to buy Charlie Austin. He's a player on the up and the cost is miniscule compared to the free loot that is given away now and is increasing evenmoreso over the next 3 years.

All in all, we would have been looking in the record books yesterday for record defeats under a Pardew/Carver set up under the same circumstances, so that's down to hard work and preparation behind the scenes, which is evident on the pitch already plus with no easy teams faced already, Im optimistic that we're gonna have a decent season.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 12:11 Post ID: #462621 - in reply to #462617
PieMag - 30/8/2015 11:40

keggy_keagal - 30/8/2015 11:07

What I am/was trying to say keggy is that Mclaren set the team up defensively and Arsenal were tearing them apart.

Based on his past, as well as the players at his disposal, I personally doubted he had the ability to change things enough to stop the onslaught and was therefore saved in a sense from having to choose any other tactic aside from the one he was forced into as a result of the dismissal.

We all make judgements of course, but the assertion after only 4 games that sdu are better organised under McClaren is far fetched.

We haven't seen how he deals with a defense containing Williamson for a start.

Fair play. Lets not mention Williamson I've a bad enough head the day as it is.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 12:21 Post ID: #462624 - in reply to #462537
Cisse's "agent" (though the fella quoted in the press Madou Diene is not his registered agent Ohne Berater so pinches of salt required all round) has been very vocal about him not being happy about being dropped for Mitrovic. I posted a while ago that heard there was definite interest in Turkey for him and there seems to be a lot of talk round and about that West Ham are weighing up a deal.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 12:21 Post ID: #462625 - in reply to #462537
Cisse's "agent" (though the fella quoted in the press Madou Diene is not his registered agent Ohne Berater so pinches of salt required all round) has been very vocal about him not being happy about being dropped for Mitrovic. I posted a while ago that heard there was definite interest in Turkey for him and there seems to be a lot of talk round and about that West Ham are weighing up a deal.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 13:05 Post ID: #462626 - in reply to #462621
First Team Regular
keggy_keagal - 30/8/2015 12:11

Fair play. Lets not mention Williamson I've a bad enough head the day as it is.

Sorry,

in my defense,the predictive text spat out williamson when I attempted to spell shite.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 13:47 Post ID: #462628 - in reply to #462626
Must have the same phone as me then.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 13:52 Post ID: #462629 - in reply to #462620
First Team Regular

Toon_NoMatterWot - 30/8/2015 12:10

A lot of judgement calls are being clouded by a dislike of the Mike Ashley tenure I feel. It's as if some find it hard to want to praise their team but find it easier to look for the negatives because of the need to continue the protest mindset.

I strongly disagree toony.
To quote vin " It's the same old shit with different puppets."and apparently the same audience.

Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 20:18 Post ID: #462633 - in reply to #462537
First Team Regular
Is that right Newcastle never had one shot on target fucking disgraceful. Just a shame the season didn't end now.

Edited by billybobcat 30/8/2015 20:21
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2015 21:10 Post ID: #462635 - in reply to #462537
Manager
Probably got more cards this season than they've had shots on target. The sheep are happy though. Wankers.
Like post
Like this post
31 August 2015 08:09 Post ID: #462638 - in reply to #462635
First Team Squad
Officemonkey - 30/8/2015 21:10

Probably got more cards this season than they've had shots on target. The sheep are happy though. Wankers.

The sheep are happy with being second bottom? Fuck me!! Probably are knowing the only team worse than SDU at present are the mackem's.

Like post
Like this post
31 August 2015 08:30 Post ID: #462639 - in reply to #462537
First Team Regular
Get shot of Cisse but replace him. He does not bring much to the team.
Like post
Like this post
31 August 2015 11:56 Post ID: #462641 - in reply to #462638
ukrocks0007 - 31/8/2015 08:09

Officemonkey - 30/8/2015 21:10

The sheep are happy with being second bottom? Fuck me!! Probably are knowing the only team worse than SDU at present are the mackem's.

The table means nowt at the minute though with 3 of the top 4 clubs having more chance of being relegated than staying there. We'll finish around 10th.
Like post
Like this post
31 August 2015 13:17 Post ID: #462648 - in reply to #462537
First Team Regular
That's being very optimistic with the current squad.
Relegation scrap for me unless we bring more quality in and depth.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum:
Newcastle United Fixtures  >>