Writer: Ross Molyneux
Date:Sunday August 23 2009
The Daily Mail, never the most friendly paper to Newcastle, ran the latest horror story surrounding the club`s executive management. Apparently, after Ashley and Llambias gambled against each other in a SJP 'after party` following the Reading win, Llambias lost and ended up having to run across our hallowed turf naked. Other than the quite simply revolting thought of the wide boy`s petrified pecker being on show at our sacred cathedral, it again reminded me of Ashley`s penchant for taking a risk.
From his arrival to our current point his tenure has been one long string of lost gambles. These read:
- Taking the club on without due diligence. Worked well to the point the club had a debt crystallise instantly and Ashley had to whack in nearly £100m extra of his own brass to cover it.
- Sticking with, then sacking, Sam Allardyce.
- Appointing Keegan then believing him and Dennis Wise would rub along nicely.
- Spread betting on HBOS shares increasing. £400m of losses suggest he should close that account.
- Selling Milner minutes before the deadline and replacing him with Xisco (4 appearances) and Nacho Gonzalez (0 starts).
- Selling Given and N`Zogbia and replacing them with Ryan Taylor and Kevin Nolan.
- Keeping Chris Hughton in charge for so long.
- Appointing Shearer with 8 games left. Then snubbing him when he had the chance to rebuild and get some credibility.
- Joe 'Fu**ing` Kinnear.
- Putting the club back on the market. Three months later.
In the whole time Ashley`s only successful bet has been down at a casino in London where he won £1m on a James Bond style combo.
The reason I write this is that tomorrow I expect Ashley to again gamble and chase his losses by staying in charge. Four games without a defeat will no doubt have the fat knacka speculating that even if we sell a couple more players we`ll still bounce back straight away. All well and good with a fit squad but if we get suspensions (Smith, imminently) and injuries (anywhere on the park) we`ll sink like a stone.
Just for once it would be nice to see Ashley get out without gambling again and take the offer.
Date:Sunday August 23 2009
Hasselbaink In The Frame? (Tuesday May 26 2015)
McClaren's Free Run! (Tuesday May 26 2015)
Newcastle Know 2015-16 Opponents (Tuesday May 26 2015)
Jonas Shirt Winners Revealed (Tuesday May 26 2015)
Carver On West Ham Relief (Monday May 25 2015)
Ashley's Ambition Statement (Monday May 25 2015)
Audio - Newcastle Need To Spend (Monday May 25 2015)
Dire Season Gets Roy Of The Rovers Ending (Monday May 25 2015)
Sissoko Making Noises About Remaining At NUFC (Sunday May 24 2015)
Mike Ashley Needs To Back Words Up With Action (Sunday May 24 2015)
|12. West Ham||38||12||11||15||-3||47|
|14. Leicester City||38||11||8||19||-9||41|
|17. Aston Villa||38||10||8||20||-26||38|
|18. Hull City||38||8||11||19||-18||35|
|Hasselbaink In The Frame?
» Newcastle : 26/05/2015 15:59:00
|On This Day - European Champions
» Aston Villa : 26/05/2015 15:50:01
|McClaren's Free Run!
» Newcastle : 26/05/2015 15:47:00
|Albion Know 2015-16 Opponents
» WBA : 26/05/2015 15:45:01
|Southampton Know 2015-16 Opponents
» Southampton : 26/05/2015 15:44:00