Writer: Ross Molyneux
Date:Sunday August 23 2009
The Daily Mail, never the most friendly paper to Newcastle, ran the latest horror story surrounding the club`s executive management. Apparently, after Ashley and Llambias gambled against each other in a SJP 'after party` following the Reading win, Llambias lost and ended up having to run across our hallowed turf naked. Other than the quite simply revolting thought of the wide boy`s petrified pecker being on show at our sacred cathedral, it again reminded me of Ashley`s penchant for taking a risk.
From his arrival to our current point his tenure has been one long string of lost gambles. These read:
- Taking the club on without due diligence. Worked well to the point the club had a debt crystallise instantly and Ashley had to whack in nearly £100m extra of his own brass to cover it.
- Sticking with, then sacking, Sam Allardyce.
- Appointing Keegan then believing him and Dennis Wise would rub along nicely.
- Spread betting on HBOS shares increasing. £400m of losses suggest he should close that account.
- Selling Milner minutes before the deadline and replacing him with Xisco (4 appearances) and Nacho Gonzalez (0 starts).
- Selling Given and N`Zogbia and replacing them with Ryan Taylor and Kevin Nolan.
- Keeping Chris Hughton in charge for so long.
- Appointing Shearer with 8 games left. Then snubbing him when he had the chance to rebuild and get some credibility.
- Joe 'Fu**ing` Kinnear.
- Putting the club back on the market. Three months later.
In the whole time Ashley`s only successful bet has been down at a casino in London where he won £1m on a James Bond style combo.
The reason I write this is that tomorrow I expect Ashley to again gamble and chase his losses by staying in charge. Four games without a defeat will no doubt have the fat knacka speculating that even if we sell a couple more players we`ll still bounce back straight away. All well and good with a fit squad but if we get suspensions (Smith, imminently) and injuries (anywhere on the park) we`ll sink like a stone.
Just for once it would be nice to see Ashley get out without gambling again and take the offer.
Date:Sunday August 23 2009
Late Cole Bid Fails (Wednesday September 2 2015)
Vuckic Signs New Deal & Departs On Loan (Tuesday September 1 2015)
Ferguson Stays At Millwall (Tuesday September 1 2015)
Mowatt In As Perez Stays (Tuesday September 1 2015)
The Next Big Thing That Wasn't (Tuesday September 1 2015)
Cisse Hints At NUFC Exit (Monday August 31 2015)
Deadline Day Tomorrow (Monday August 31 2015)
McClaren Considering Mitrovic Appeal (Saturday August 29 2015)
Stats: Newcastle v Arsenal (Saturday August 29 2015)
Newcastle v Arsenal - Team Line Ups (Saturday August 29 2015)
|Jarvis Joins Norwich
» West Ham : 02/09/2015 17:50:00
|Adebayor Didn`t Come
» West Ham : 02/09/2015 17:35:01
|Rooney Closing in on Charlton`s England Record
» Man Utd : 02/09/2015 17:28:01
|Reed On Window amp; Wanyama
» Southampton : 02/09/2015 17:24:01
|Forster Sold Southampton To Me - van Djik
» Southampton : 02/09/2015 17:18:01